Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Marco Heyden <he...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/01 21:16:06 UTC

Usability / UX: Default values for identifiers

Hey everyone,

I played around with streampipes during the last days and overall had a great experience.
However, while setting up the adapters, pipelines, dashboards, data sinks, etc. I found it a little annoying to come up with a meaningful identifier for each component over and over again as there are no default values. For example, I ended up calling the sinks S1, S2, S3 and so on.

I’d like to ask if you had similar experiences and if you have any ideas regarding good default values. For now, I suggest simple default values such as

• Data Lake 1, 2, 3 ...
• Dashbord 1, 2, 3 ...

Although they are not really meaningful, prototyping would become more convenient. Also I feel like most new users don’t know what the identifiers are for. Default values could thus also help users to understand why and how they should choose them.

Let me know what you think.

Best
Marco

RE: Usability / UX: Default values for identifiers

Posted by Dominik Riemer <ri...@apache.org>.
Hi Philipp,

good point - we could make the measurement property a remote static property that checks whether the name is already used.
For the future, I think we already started to discuss the option to replace the dashboard and data lake sinks with a "virtual stream" that can be configured to persist data.

Dominik

Posted by Philipp Zehnder <ze...@apache.org>.
Hi Marco,

yes this is a good idea. Therefore, we have to extend our model in the data lake sink and store the mapping in the couchDB.
We are currently building an API to manage the data within the data lake.

Philipp

Posted by Marco Heyden <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Philipp,

Posted by Philipp Zehnder <ze...@apache.org>.