Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Grivsky, John" <JG...@servicebench.com> on 2003/05/21 20:50:35 UTC

jspc ignoring timestamp

Hi everyone,

We are using:
Solaris 8
Tomcat 4.1.18 with Apache 1.3.22
JDK 1.3.1_02

I am precompiling JSPs using jspc included in tomcat_home/bin and that works
fine.  However, when a change is made to a JSP file and jspc is run again,
the .java file is not regenerated.  We have to manually delete the old .java
file to get the updated JSP precompiled into an updated .java file.  I've
read that jspc in 4.1.x recompiles all JSPs regardless of whether or not
they have been touched.  But in our case, it won't recompile at all when a
corresponding .java file is present.  Here is the setup I used to verify
this:

In directory /serviceb/docs:
tester.jsp

>From the tomcat_home/bin directory I type:
./jspc.sh -d /serviceb/docs /service/docs/tester.jsp

If the the .java file is not present, one is generated, otherwise nothing
happens.  Any pointers on why jspc won't recompile the JSP when the
timestamp is newer than the .java file?

Thanks
john