Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2002/07/11 23:38:32 UTC

Re: FormFile/DiskFile and form validation/redisplay during file uploa d

I don't know of any browser which actually does anything with the
"value" field of an input type "file".  The fact that the html:file
tag puts a value in is just a side effect of FileTag extending
BaseFieldTag.

Sorry.  This isn't a Struts thing, it's a browser thing.  Try making
a static HTML form and setting some value in that field which makes
your browser pre-fill the field.  I just tried it on Mozilla 1.0/Mac
OS X, just to make sure I wasn't speaking too quickly, but the value
was completely ignored.

Joe

>Am I missing something, or does anyone know how I can get the full client
>side path to the file? I scrounged around the upload source a bit, but can't
>see where this would be done. Also, it does not appear that the original
>filename is guaranteed to be supplied either ( see
>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1867.txt)

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>