Posted to user@struts.apache.org by JOSE L MARTINEZ-AVIAL <jl...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/02 07:23:28 UTC

Reuse Struts2 Actions for thick clients

Hi,
  We are using Struts 2 for a web application that we have been developed
for about a year. The app uses Dojo on the client side to build the UI, and
has a mix of 'normal' screens (Struts + Tiles + JSP) and a lot of AJAX/JSON
(also through Struts) actions to request information from the client to the
app.

  The thing is that we have been asked to create an iPad app with the same
functionality as the web app. Our first approach is to write a small thick
client (iOS app) that will take care of the presentation layer, and reuse
the action we have developed as much as possible. The communication between
the app and the server side would be made using webservices or JSON over
HTTP(The later option is preferred to avoid the overload introduced by the
webservice). We would need to create new JSON actions in order to provide
the information that today is only provided when doing a normal navigation,
and maybe we would redo the normal navigations to relay more heavily on
JSON so we would have more common code.

  Has anyone done something like this? Is there something obviously wrong
or that could be improved on? Any thoughts about this?

 Thanks

Jose Luis

Re: Reuse Struts2 Actions for thick clients

Posted by Eric Lentz <er...@outfastsource.com>.
This was recently discussed. You may want to review that thread [1] and
then post any follow-up questions you may have.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/znyl2ervtnlbb5tn