Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it> on 2013/06/10 16:30:14 UTC

splitting packages install

Does anyone mind if I split the installation process in 2 stages?

make install -> module + binary libraries + init.tcl + Tcl commands

make install-packages -> the whole content of rivet/packages is copied
onto the installation target and the pkgIndex.tcl file regenerated

 pros: Pure Tcl packages can be shipped, installed and managed
separately. The core module should be functional whether the packages
are installed or not.

my goal is to produce a module linked with Tcl8.6 to be shipped with
Debian/Ubuntu to work as a replacement for the standard 8.5 based module
without packaging the Tcl/Itcl stuff for both

thoughts?

--
-- Massimo Manghi
P.S. btw, the packages directory deserves some clean-up of unused stuff.

Re: splitting packages install

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
+1

make install should always install the relevant bits while also having separate targets for the individual components.

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
On 19-08-2013 22:36, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> In a later email on July 3, you said:
>
>> A better approach would have been to preserve 'make install' as an
>> 'install everything' target and split it into 2 depends on
>> 'install-packages' and 'install-binaries' targets. I think we could
>> go
>> that way quite safely and I will get the blame for not having
>> thought of
>> it on time and for having gotten out a lame version of rivet.
>

> Although Rivet 2.1.2 is already released with out that improvement,
> what do you think about making that change for future versions?  That
> is, "make install" does "make install-packages install-binaries"

I think it should be done. I will ASAP

  -- Massimo

Re: splitting packages install

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
split in install-binaries and install-packages has been done in trunk.

'install' target depends on those 2 targets, therefore this restores
the way 'make install' worked before 2.1.2

  -- Massimo

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.