Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/29 23:33:54 UTC

Re: [Maven] Initial thoughts

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 18:26, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Before I begin, I want to say that Maven is about 10 steps in the right
> direction.  Once it is set up correctly, you don't have to think about
> a lot of things.  However, I would like to know how it plans to address
> some challenges.
>
> Sub Projects
>      I work with a few projects that have several smaller projects.
>      These include avalon-excalibur, docoport (components for Cocoon),
>      avalon-apps, etc.
>
>      Not all of these projects can adopt the Maven style--although
>      there is a lot to like.  Is there any method planned to allow
>      a site or parent project to override the templates?  I don't
>      want to alter the installation.

Can you explain a little further, I'm not quite sure what you want me to
clarify.

>      Is it possible to have a master project.xml file and change the
>      specific information for each sub-project?  Only the subdirectory
>      information will change.

I thought about this when I started I leaned toward complete project
encapsulation so that the project could vary independently. But I'm not
averse to a form of inheritance as we are dealing with an object model
for a project. This will be easier when I move the xml mapping mechanism
to betwixt, this coupled with schemas will probably make possible what
you're looking for very easily. I could actually do it now but I opted
for simple encapsulation to begin with. But to be clear this is not
possible currently.

>      Will there be a way to override the default directory structure
>      for a main project?  Avalon keeps the xdocs at src/xdocs which
>      is different from turbine specs.

Yup, log4j has the same structure and it's a simple override in a
project.properties:

http://24.157.133.102/log4j/

> "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
>  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>                 - Benjamin Franklin

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Maven] Initial thoughts

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:09:03PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > >      Will there be a way to override the default directory structure
> > >      for a main project?  Avalon keeps the xdocs at src/xdocs which
> > >      is different from turbine specs.
> >
> > Yup, log4j has the same structure and it's a simple override in a
> > project.properties:
> >
> > http://24.157.133.102/log4j/
>
> Ok.  Sounds good!

This is also documented in the 'Integration' document on the Maven site.
See the section called "Custom Properties" for more information.

Thanks!
Pete

RE: [Maven] Initial thoughts

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

The process of defining my own look for my projects.  I want to remain
as true to the feel of the Maven site, but I want to be able to use my
own styles for some of my projects.  I don't want to have to change the
installation of maven--even though I could.

That way I can set up a site look and feel for a suite of projects, but
leave the maven look and feel alone in the install.

> >      Is it possible to have a master project.xml file and change the
> >      specific information for each sub-project?  Only the
> subdirectory
> >      information will change.
> >

> I thought about this when I started I leaned toward complete
> project encapsulation so that the project could vary
> independently. But I'm not averse to a form of inheritance as
> we are dealing with an object model for a project. This will
> be easier when I move the xml mapping mechanism to betwixt,
> this coupled with schemas will probably make possible what
> you're looking for very easily. I could actually do it now
> but I opted for simple encapsulation to begin with. But to be
> clear this is not possible currently.

I like that approach.  In fact, that is what I was thinking of--
a project inheritance.

> >      Will there be a way to override the default directory structure
> >      for a main project?  Avalon keeps the xdocs at src/xdocs which
> >      is different from turbine specs.
>
> Yup, log4j has the same structure and it's a simple override in a
> project.properties:

http://24.157.133.102/log4j/

Ok.  Sounds good!