Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Faulkner <ch...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/04 09:51:37 UTC

overlay images

Hello all

I am wondering whether it is possible to overlay two images in the
same table-cell. I have been through the archives and seen a similar
request and the advice was basically to use SVG which is reasonable.

MY only concern with this is the possible impact on performance. From
recollection, batik requires a large number of jar files which
slightly adds the the maintenance overhead.

So, is there any way that images can be overlapped ?

Thanks

Chris

Re: overlay images

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thanks for feedback. It wasn't so much the hit on performance of
having the extra JAR involved, I understand the issues involved, it is
the necessity of running batik essentially to do no more than overlay
imagery.

One of my basic images that I need to overlay is generated by calls to
the Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) API, via http to a servlet container
so I am also exploring the option of overlaying images with this
route, i.e. I'll do it all in one call for a single image. This will
almost certainly be faster but does not give me the option to expand
in the future with the option of adding SVG based graphics if I needed
to.

Anyway, I am testing the relative performance of both approaches now.

I had initially thought that there might be an easy third option which
would be to put references to both images in the  .fo, and let FOP
overlay them.

Chris

Re: overlay images

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.