Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by bca <be...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/22 19:50:24 UTC

Re: Connection closing after timeout on tomcat

Eric:

were you able to get this issue resolved?  if so, what did you do to get it
resolved?

I am having the same issue as well..

appreciate your help.

thanks  ..

Eric Bauld wrote:

> The SQL Map used to be accessed as a single static object but I ended up
> changing it when the connection was closing to try to fix the problem.
> I'm going to leave it the way it is right now to see if the connection
> timeouts are fixed. Once I know they are I will go back to something
> like this
>
> /**
> * Will setup the SqlMapper, if already setup will do nothing
> */
>     public static void setIBATIS(String iBATIS) {
>      	if(sqlMap == null){
> 		SQLMapper.iBATIS = iBATIS;
>         	setup();
> 	}
>     }
>
> Thanks a bunch everyone, I hope this thing is fixed now.
>
> Chris Lamey wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For what it's worth, sqlMapClients are thread-safe, so you can construct
>> one at webapp init time and share it between all servlets.  Creating a
>> new sqlMapClient on every HTTP request is heavyweight and not needed.
>> Also, the way SQLMapper is written, you could have different threads
>> coming in and getting each other sqlMapClients, which wouldn't be a big
>> deal in this case, but is something to note.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>
>> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:18 -0600, Eric Bauld wrote:
>>
>>> Unsure about using DBCP so probably not. I am creating a new instance of
>>> a SqlMapClient each time a servlet is run.
>>>
>>> iBatis 2.1.7
>>> apache-tomcat 5.5.7
>>> mysql 4.1.11
>>>
>>> The servlets are accessed from a php script and the output is passed
>>> through apache as a excell file. Its not used that often.
>>>
>>> Each servlet executes this
>>> SQLMapper.setIBATIS( sysprops.getProperty( "ibatis" ) );
>>>
>>> And everything that uses ibatis accesses the SqlMapClient does so via
>>> SQLMapper.getSqlMapInstance()
>>>

>>> And SQLMapper is as follows
>>>

>>> package rp.broker;
>>>
>>> import java.io.Reader;
>>> import java.sql.SQLException;
>>>

>>> import com.ibatis.common.resources.Resources;
>>> import com.ibatis.sqlmap.client.SqlMapClient;

Posted by bca <be...@gmail.com>.
hmm ok.. i'll try the autoReconnect=true. .

i'm not using dbcp though... just jdbc.. simple..

    <transactionManager type="JDBC">
        <dataSource type="SIMPLE">
            <property name="JDBC.Driver" value="${driver}"/>
            <property name="JDBC.ConnectionURL" value="${jdbcURL}"/>
            <property name="JDBC.Username" value="${username}"/>
            <property name="JDBC.Password" value="${password}"/>
           	<property name="Pool.PingQuery" value="select 1 from
fdblseason"/>
           	<property name="Pool.PingEnabled" value="true"/>
           	<property name="Pool.PingConnectionsOlderThan" value="3600000"/>
			<property name="Pool.PingConnectionsNotUsedFor" value="3600000"/>
        </dataSource>
    </transactionManager>

Posted by Jerome Gagner <ph...@gmail.com>.
To ammend my previous email, the the reason you need ?autoReconnect=true
with MySQL is because the server explicitly closes the connection after a
period of inactivity, which causes a problem with pooling, as DBCP will keep
a few connections open depending on your configuration. The working after a