Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by kgrogan0321 <Ka...@dcjs.state.ny.us> on 2009/01/15 19:53:47 UTC

Solr/Lucene capabilities--Newbie Question

Hello,
I have been tasked with evaluating a few open source tools for implementing
an Enterprise search in a new project(Solr/Lucene being one of them).

Can anyone help to answer if Solr/Lucene can:
1)Handle field/row level security?
2)implement DROOLS rules on a query of multiple records?  If so how does it
work internally and are there any performance hits?
3)Handle multiple data sources?
4)Break up and dispatch queries?

I do aplogize that my question(s) are a little general, as we are only in
the beginning stages of the project.  I appreciate any help or answers
anyone can give :)

Thanks,
Karen

Re: Solr/Lucene capabilities--Newbie Question

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 15, 2009, at 1:53 PM, kgrogan0321 wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been tasked with evaluating a few open source tools for
> implementing
> an Enterprise search in a new project(Solr/Lucene being one of them).
>
> Can anyone help to answer if Solr/Lucene can:
> 1)Handle field/row level security?

Yes.  This is typically handled with a Filter.

> 2)implement DROOLS rules on a query of multiple records?  If so how
> does it
> work internally and are there any performance hits?

Not out of the box.  You would probably have to implement your own
SearchComponent/RequestHandler to do so.  I don't know what would be
involved here, but it sounds interesting.

> 3)Handle multiple data sources?

Yes.

> 4)Break up and dispatch queries?

In what way?  Do you mean for distributed search?  If so, then yes.

> I do aplogize that my question(s) are a little general, as we are
> only in
> the beginning stages of the project.  I appreciate any help or answers
> anyone can give :)

No worries, all good questions.