Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/09/08 11:52:17 UTC

Area Tree XML format as reloadable intermediate format

It's time bring this on the table. I've started writing down a proposal
for an intermediate format for FOP. All the details are on the wiki
page:

http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml

Thoughts welcome.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Area Tree XML format as reloadable intermediate format

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> It's time bring this on the table. I've started writing down a proposal
> for an intermediate format for FOP. All the details are on the wiki
> page:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml
>
> Thoughts welcome.

Looks good Jeremias. All I found wrong was a couple of typos - now fixed.

Chris

Re: Area Tree XML format as reloadable intermediate format

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 08.09.2005 13:14:57 Finn Bock wrote:
> [Jeremias]
>
> > It's time bring this on the table. I've started writing down a proposal
> > for an intermediate format for FOP. All the details are on the wiki
> > page:
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml
> >
> > Thoughts welcome.
>
> Looks fine, but a few things is unclear to me.
>
> - What is "SAX-based serialization"?

Generation of XML by generating SAX events. Like in ExampleObj2XML.

> - The "wrapper around a PageViewport" is a functional extra that the
> pure area tree doesn't need by itself, right?

Yes. The transformations could be put on the PageViewport itself but I
find a wrapper the cleaner approach.

> - What and where do you mean "no direct painting routines"?

It means that you won't have any XML elements in the area tree namespace
that you can use to paint graphical shapes.

I'll update the Wiki to clarify these points.

Posted by Finn Bock <bc...@worldonline.dk>.
[Jeremias]

> It's time bring this on the table. I've started writing down a proposal
> for an intermediate format for FOP. All the details are on the wiki
> page:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml
>
> Thoughts welcome.

Looks fine, but a few things is unclear to me.

- What is "SAX-based serialization"?
- The "wrapper around a PageViewport" is a functional extra that the
pure area tree doesn't need by itself, right?
- What and where do you mean "no direct painting routines"?

regards,
finn