Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/03/27 19:45:39 UTC

API proposal: TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)

TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)
TSSslOCSPCallbackSet sets the OCSP callback described in ATS
to the SSL context passed as an argument. This API is useful for contexts created externally via plugin

PR: https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/3353/files

Syeda Persia Aziz
Software DeveloperYahoo! Inc.Champaign, Illinois

Re: API proposal: TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Mar 30, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> After debugging, I found that TSSslServerContextCreate does not configure the ssl context with the ocsp data. So I had to make another API, for the OCSP to work for contexts created by plugin. I will make a PR
>
> Following is the newly proposed API. I need to test this more.

Curious, can you explain why TSSslServerContextCreate() can’t be modified to also initialize the OCSP callback? I really, really dislike that there has to be two calls to properly initialize a new context. I much rather add additional parameters to the TSSslServerContextCreate() API if that’s the problem here.

— Leif

Re: API proposal: TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)

Posted by Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
After debugging, I found that TSSslServerContextCreate does not configure the ssl context with the ocsp data. So I had to make another API, for the OCSP to work for contexts created by plugin. I will make a PR

 Following is the newly proposed API. I need to test this more.

```tsapi TSReturnCode
TSSslInitOCSPStapling(TSSslContext ctx, X509 *cert, char* certname, char *servername)
{

  auto sslCTX             = reinterpret_cast<SSL_CTX *>(ctx);

  if (SSL_CTX_set_tlsext_status_cb(sslCTX, ssl_callback_ocsp_stapling)) {

    SSLConfigParams *params = SSLConfig::acquire();
    SSLCertLookup *lookup = SSLCertificateConfig::acquire();

    if ((!SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations(sslCTX, params->serverCACertFilename, params->serverCACertPath)) ||
       (!SSL_CTX_set_default_verify_paths(sslCTX))) {
     SSLError("invalid CA Certificate file or CA Certificate path");
    }
    if (!ssl_stapling_init_cert(sslCTX, cert, certname)) {
      Warning("fail to configure SSL_CTX for OCSP Stapling info for certificate of %s", (const char *)certname);
    }
    else if (lookup != nullptr) {
      lookup->insert(servername,SSLCertContext(sslCTX));
    }
    SSLCertificateConfig::release(lookup);
    SSLConfig::release(params);
    return TS_SUCCESS;
  }

  return TS_ERROR;
}```

Syeda Persia Aziz
Software DeveloperYahoo! (Oath).Champaign, Illinois

    On Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 10:35:57 AM CDT, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 9:52 PM, Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> @Leif,
>
> Yes, this is for certificated loaded via plugin. I don't know of any such API to hand a new context to ATS. Again, looking at the code, the ocsp is enabled on a context only at the initialization phase. So any context created externally in a plugin does not get configured with the global ATS configuration.

This is way outside my area of expertise, but it seems we already have

    tsapi TSSslContext TSSslServerContextCreate(void);

So why can’t we setup the OCSP default callback handler in that existing API? Having two APIs each doing part of the context “initialization” seems unnecessary. Heck, even if we needed to add new parameters to TSSslServerContextCreate() that would be fine, since we can break API / ABI compatibility in v8.0.

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: API proposal: TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Persia Aziz <pe...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
@Leif,

    On Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 5:43:10 PM CDT, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 4:36 PM, Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Persia should correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the default
> is no handling. The ATS core provides a default handler for OCSP and the
> point of this call is to set this context to use the ATS core default OCSP
> handler. That is how this makes OCSP easier for plugins - rather than
> writing a handler, the handling is delegated to the default handler in the
> ATS core.  I'm open to better name suggestions, a name which conveys the
> concept "use the ATS core default OCSP handler for this context".

Ah so this is for certificates (contexts) loaded via a plugin, and not the normal ssl_multicert.config way? Curious: Are we not using some API to “add” the context into the ATS handling of certificates? If so, couldn’t this be done implicitly by that API / UI or whatever it is? I.e. if a plugin hands ATS a new context, ATS calls the appropriate OpenSSL code to enable the default handling, much like it does when we load certificates via ssl_multicert.config?

— leif

Re: API proposal: TSReturnCode TSSslOCSPCallbackSet(TSSslContext ctx)

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID>.