Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 1998/12/02 09:17:27 UTC

possible configuration idea

I'm going to stay out of this debate :-), but I've got a small idea to
provide...

One of the issues that has come up quite often is the portability of the
different solutions, and how to ensure the portability. Problems creep
up with shell features that can be used, additional support tools and
commands that are available, etc.

An approach that the MudOS LPmud driver took was to compile and build
its own tool as part of the configuration process. The C code used
*very* limited headers, used only the most basic library functions, and
stuck to classic K&R. That tool was then used to assist the rest of the
configuration process.

A similar approach could be used by Apache for its configuration/build
process to help with its portability.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: possible configuration idea

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@Covalent.NET>.
What? Do you think 4000 lines of shell script is a bad solution? :-)

While I tend to agree with your suggestion, the root of this problem
is in the fact that for some reason, the world now expects to see a
script named 'configure'. I suppose that could bootstrap the compile
process for the other tool.

A good suggestion for the 2.0 tree.