Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Larry Johnson <la...@lgjconsulting.com> on 2004/04/12 22:26:32 UTC

user can't do a checkout of newly created repository

Hello,

I am a newbie to subversion. I have used cvs for years and now would like to
use subversion. However, any user other than root and the user who initially
created the repository are unable to do a checkout of the newly created
repository. Here is the errors I get.

$ svn co file:///home/abc/subversion/repository1 testrepo
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/ra_plugin.c:161: (apr_err=180001)
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c:109: (apr_err=180001)
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///home/abc/subversion/repository1'
subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:1586: (apr_err=13)
svn: Can't open file '/home/abc/subversion/repository1/format': Permission
denied

I have read the manual concerning permissions. And I believe I have them all
set correctly to give access to multiple developers.
Each developer using subversion is a member of the svngroup in /etc/group.

What am I missing?????

Thanks for any help,

Larry

Re: user can't do a checkout of newly created repository

Posted by Kurt Guenther <ku...@serent.com>.
Try cating the files.  You need access to everything in

///home/abc/subversion/repository1/db

and ...

///home/abc/subversion/repository1/locks

I'd just do a:

chmod -R svnuser.svngroup ///home/abc/subversion/repository1

As your users create new logs you need permissions to the directory and have all the users have the *primary* group be 'svngroup'.   Also your umask needs to be 'umask 02', so you may want to just set it up in the /etc/profile.

--Kurt

Posted by Larry Johnson <la...@lgjconsulting.com>.
I located the permissions problem. It turned out that I didn't have
sufficient write privileges in the /home/abc directory.

Thanks,

Larry

Posted by Larry Johnson <la...@lgjconsulting.com>.