Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by joseph gao <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/20 18:22:32 UTC

memory usage problem of Metadata.tokenMap.tokenToHost

cassandra: 2.1.7
java driver: datastax java driver 2.1.6

Here is the problem:
   My application uses 2000+ keyspaces, and will dynamically create
keyspaces and tables. And then in java client, the
Metadata.tokenMap.tokenToHost would use about 1g memory. so this will cause
a lot of  full gc.
   As I see, the key of the tokenToHost is keyspace, and the value is a
tokenId_to_replicateNodes map.

   When I try to solve this problem, I find something not sure: all
keyspaces have same 'tokenId_to_replicateNodes' map.
    My replication strategy of all keyspaces is : simpleStrategy and
replicationFactor is 3

    So would it be possible if keyspaces use same strategy, the value of
tokenToHost map use a same map. So it would extremely reduce the memory
usage

     thanks a lot

--
------
Joseph Gao

Re: memory usage problem of Metadata.tokenMap.tokenToHost

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM, joseph gao <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    My application uses 2000+ keyspaces, and will dynamically create
> keyspaces and tables.

While I agree with your observation (and think you should file a ticket at
issues.apache.org and let the list know the URL) that there is low hanging
optimization fruit here...

... dynamically creating 2000+ keyspaces and associated tables sounds like
setting yourself up for a world of hurt. I would not be excited about the
prospect.

=Rob

Re: memory usage problem of Metadata.tokenMap.tokenToHost

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.
In practice there are not many good reasons to use that many keyspaces and tables. If the use case is multi tenancy then you’re almost always better off just using a combination of version tables and tenantId to give you flexibility as well as separation of client data. If you have that many data types then it maybe worth considering a blog or text value for the data and then a data type column so you can serialize and deserialize on the client.

Posted by horschi <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joseph,

Posted by joseph gao <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi, anybody could help me?

--
------

Posted by joseph gao <ga...@gmail.com>.

--
------

Posted by Alex Popescu <al...@datastax.com>.
There are still a couple of tickets being worked on for 2.1.10 and the
release will come afterwards. You can check the list:
https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/JAVA-989?jql=project%20%3D%20JAVA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.10

Posted by joseph gao <ga...@gmail.com>.

--
------