Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/14 09:28:35 UTC

[VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC3 release

Hi all,

Now I open a new ticket for Apache IoTDB (incubating) 0.8.1 RC3, which fixs
some issues comparing with RC2. You can find the details at the end of this
email.

Apache IoTDB (incubating) 0.8.1 is a bug-fix version from 0.8.0. You can
get its mainly changes from [5].

Apache IoTDB (Incubating) 0.8.1 has been staged under [2] and it’s time to
vote
on accepting it for release.  All Maven artifacts are available under [1].
If approved we will seek final release approval from the IPMC.
Voting will be open for 72hr.

A minimum of 3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 than binding -1
are required to pass.

Release tag: release/0.8.1
Hash for the release tag: 4b8d46f9861e12bbe4a1d952bede7c9293b90b46

Per [3] "Before voting +1 PMC/PPMC members are required to download
the signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test
the resulting executable on their own platform, along with also
verifying that the package meets the requirements of the ASF policy
on releases."

You can achieve the above by following [4].

[ ]  +1 accept (indicate what you validated - e.g. performed the non-RM
items in [4])
[ ]  -1 reject (explanation required)

Difference with RC1:

- PGP signing: there is no established trust chain to any other Apache ...
- Running IoTDB Server according to information in README.md: MINOR I am
using OpenJDK 13 and I get an error message that IoTDB only runs on Java 8
and 11 ... this sort of contradicts the README which states X >= 1.8
- I would suggest to add an Apache Header to the ".checkstyle" XML file
- It seems the Hadoop module still contains SNAPSHOT versions: MINOR
- Able to run the server and client: MINOR Same finding as with the source
distribution ... not able to run with OpenJDK 13
- Major bug: The version printed in client is still 0.8.0
- NOTICE-binary HIVE shows 2008-2018 while NOTICE HIVE shows 2008-2019.
(Now they are consistent with the notice file at github.com/apache/hive,
which says 2008-2018)

Difference with RC2:

- remove .mvn/wrapper/*.jar out of source-release.zip file
- modify the LICENSE-binary file to declare some dependencies:
   io.airlift.airline:0.8
   com.google.guava.guava:21.0
   org.fusesource.leveldbjni:leveldbjni-all:1.8
   javax.inject:javax.inject:1
- add MIT licenses for two different dependencies.

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheiotdb-1006
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/iotdb/0.8.1/rc3
[3] https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/Validating+a+staged+Release
[5]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/iotdb/0.8.1/rc3/RELEASE_NOTES.md

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC3 release

Posted by Lei Rui <ne...@163.com>.
Hi, my vote is +1 (binding) PPMC vote.

I followed [1] and checked:

1. download staged artifacts. Check their signature and hashes.
    ✔[RM] verify the reported signature is for an "apache.org" address ("gpg: Good signature from ...")
    ✔[RM] verify the reported hashes
2. extract src bundle
    ✔cd downloaded-iotdb-0.8.1rc1
    ✔unzip 0.8.1/rc1/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating-source-release.zip
    ✔verify the existence of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle
    ✔[RM] verify the staged source README, RELEASE_NOTE files correspond to those in the extracted source bundle
3. staged src bundle items: content, can compile & test
    ✔a. cd apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating
    ❗ b. check the contents of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES
    ❗ c. UNPACK the binary artefact and check the contents of LICENSE-binary and NOTICE-binary
    ✔d. build from directions in README with an empty maven local repo
    ❗ e. [RM] review target/rat.txt (though the build should fail if RAT constraints aren't met)
         - Find and files containing binary content with this command: find . -type f -name 'rat.txt' -exec grep -l " B " {} \;
         - Then review for B (binary) content in those files: grep " B " target/rat.txt
    ❗ f. Search for SNAPSHOT references: find . -type f -name 'pom.xml' -exec grep -l "SNAPSHOT" {} \;
    ✔g. ./mvnw install
    ✔h. ./mvnw site:site

Details of three ❗ items:
b. check the contents of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES
    - LICENSE: There is a place of duplication:
        ```
        The following class is modified from Maven Wrapper, which is under Apache License 2.0:
        .mvn/wrapper/MavenWrapperDownloader.java
        ------------
        The following class is modified from Maven Wrapper
        ./.mvn/wrapper/MavenWrapperDownloader.java
        ```
    - NOTICE: "Copyright 2019 and onwards" is not incorrect, as Justin has pointed out.

c. UNPACK the binary artefact and check the contents of LICENSE-binary and NOTICE-binary
    - LICENSE-binary: I checked the licenses/ directory and I wonder what software the license "Eclipse Public License version 2.0 (EPL-2.0)" corresponds to.
    - NOTICE-binary: "Copyright 2019 and onwards"

e. [RM] review target/rat.txt (though the build should fail if RAT constraints aren't met)
    I executed the following commands:
        1. mvn clean apache-rat:check
        2. Find and files containing binary content with this command: find . -type f -name 'rat.txt' -exec grep -l " B " {} \;
        3. Then review for B (binary) content in those files: grep " B " ./grafana/target/rat.txt
    And I found the following png marked as "B":
        B     /home/rl/test/downloaded-iotdb-0.8.1rc3/0.8.1/rc3/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating/grafana/img/add_data_source.png
        B     /home/rl/test/downloaded-iotdb-0.8.1rc3/0.8.1/rc3/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating/grafana/img/edit_data_source.png
        B     /home/rl/test/downloaded-iotdb-0.8.1rc3/0.8.1/rc3/apache-iotdb-0.8.1-incubating/grafana/img/add_graph.png
    Is that normal?

f. Search for SNAPSHOT references: find . -type f -name 'pom.xml' -exec grep -l "SNAPSHOT" {} \;
    I found ./hadoop/pom.xml reference 0.8.1-SNAPSHOT.

[1]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/Validating+a+staged+Release
[2]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Incubator+Release+Checklist

Sincerely,
Lei Rui

On 10/15/2019 17:14,Tian Jiang<jt...@163.com> wrote:
Hi,
+1 (PPMC vote)

The followings are successfully verified:

Source release:
1. ASC sinature
2. Hashes
3. LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES
4. RAT
5. mvn clean package
6. start server and client
7. execute basic operations and reboot

Binary distribution:
1. ASC sinature
2. Hashes
3. start server and client
4. execute basic operations and reboot

Best,
Tian Jiang
On 10/15/2019 15:57,李天安<lt...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> wrote:
Hi,
+1 (PPMC vote)

I have checked following items:

Source release:
1. Running RAT(mvn apache-rat:check) (Correct)
2. Verify the existence of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle (Correct)
3. Compile and build code with command: mvn clean package. (Correct)
4. Verifying the signature (ASC) (Correct)
5. Verifying the hashes (SHA512) (Correct)

Binary distribution:
1. Verify the existence of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files (Correct)
2. Verifying the signature (ASC) (Correct)
3. Verifying the hashes (SHA512) (Correct)

Functionality:
1. Run server and client script:  sh start-server.sh, start-client.sh -h 127.0.0.1 -p 6667 -u root -pw root (Correct)
2. REBOOT
3. Execuet some basic operations: (Correct)
1) SET STORAGE GROUP TO root.vehicle
2) CREATE TIMESERIES root.vehicle.d0.s0 WITH DATATYPE=INT32, ENCODING=RLE
3) insert into root.vehicle.d0(timestamp,s0) values(10,100)
4) insert into root.vehicle.d0(timestamp,s0) values(1,101)
5) select * from root.vehicle
6) select * from root.vehicle where time > 5
7) show timeseries
8) show timeseries root.*
9) delete from root.vehicle.d0.s0 where time < 9
10) select * from root.vehicle

Best Regards,
—————————————————
Tianan Li
School of Software, Tsinghua University

李天安
清华大学 软件学院

2019年10月15日 下午2:18,Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> 写道:

Hi,

+1 (PPMC vote)

I checked:

source release:
verify the existence of LICENSE, NOTICE, README, RELEASE_NOTES files in the extracted source bundle (ok)
incubating in name (ok)
signature and hashes (ok)
DISCLAIMER exists (ok)
LICENSE (ok)
NOTICE (ok)
ASF headers (ok)
no jars in source release (ok)
mvn clean package (ok)
test all passed on mac os + jdk1.8(ok)

binary distribution:
incubating in name (ok)
UNPACK the binary artefact and check the contents of LICENSE-binary and NOTICE-binary (ok)
DISCLAIMER exists (ok)
LICENSE (ok)
NOTICE (ok)
Start server (ok)
Start client (ok)
The version printed in client is 0.8.1 (ok)
compatible with 0.8.0, both client-0.8.1 with server-0.8.0 and client-0.8.0 with server-0.8.1 (ok)
Example statements are as follow:

```
SET STORAGE GROUP TO root.turbine;
CREATE TIMESERIES root.turbine.d1.s0 WITH DATATYPE=FLOAT, ENCODING=RLE;
insert into root.turbine.d1(timestamp,s0) values(1,24.5);
select * from root;
```

Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Posted by 李天安 <lt...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes file
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE has duplication of text for Maven Wrapper. I am still a little confused where [1] comes from, it seems to come from a 3rd party repo but the header has been changed why is that?
- NOTICE is fine
- Can compile from source

I noticed a number of CVE’s reported during the build, is anything being done to update software so these vulnerabilities don’t exist?

Thanks,
Justin

1. .mvn/wrapper/MavenWrapperDownloader.java

Re: [VOTE] Apache IoTDB 0.8.1 (incubating) RC3 release

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I checked the staged source and binary bundles.
- Hashes file and signature files are OK
- DISCLAIMER file is there
- LICENSE and NOTICE files are fine
- can build the binary artifact from source

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem