Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ingo Siebert <in...@cas.de> on 2007/03/14 16:16:14 UTC

Rename with lower/upper case chars

Hi,

i'm using Subclipse and i can't _rename_ a Java class, if i only change
the case of a letter and not the letter itself.

Sample which is not working:
ABCException => AbcException

The guys of Subclipse told me, that this isn't a bug in Subclipse, but a
  limitation of Subversion itself. Is this true?

Cheers,

Ingo

Re: Rename with lower/upper case chars

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Ingo Siebert wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
> thank you for your answer.
>
> It's true, the lower/upper-case filenames can be a problem on Windows
> filesystems. Very sad.
>
> But my windows explorer supports lower/upper case chars. I can rename
> them to the same name but with different upper/lower case chars. It's
> working fine with the windows explorer and other tools like Total
> Commander.
>
> That's why it must be possible for Subversion to solve the problem. I
> think the limitation doesn't really exists (anymore?).
> What's your opinion?

The problem is quite a bit more complicated than that, due to the facts
that: Subversion is written for many platforms, most of them fully
case-sensitive; and even though Windows preserves the case of a file, it
doesn't consider a rename involving only file case a true change to the
file.

See this thread and others in the mailing list archives for full
discussions of the problem:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2003-12/0333.shtml

toby

Re: Rename with lower/upper case chars

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Ingo Siebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm using Subclipse and i can't _rename_ a Java class, if i only change
> the case of a letter and not the letter itself.
>
> Sample which is not working:
> ABCException => AbcException
>

> The guys of Subclipse told me, that this isn't a bug in Subclipse, but
> a  limitation of Subversion itself. Is this true?

Not a limitation of Subversion, but of the filesystem/OS if it is not
case-sensitive (i.e. Windows). You can work around this in several ways;
two of the easiest are:
* Make sure any local changes are committed first, then perform the
rename on the URLs directly, such as: svn move
http://path/to/ABCException http://path/to/AbcException -m "Changed case
of ABCException". Then do a local update on your working copy.
* Check out another working copy on a case-sensitive filesystem/OS (such
as Linux), perform and commit the rename(s) there, then update your
working copy on Windows.