Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeffrey Stickel <js...@allegient.com> on 2007/10/09 22:41:31 UTC

Bug, or User Error with maven.war.src.excludes

I have a web project for which I would like to exclude static content in
my resultant war file.  I have a property set as follows:

maven.war.src.excludes = **/*.gif

This works great as I need to exclude .gif files from my war.  I can
also do this

maven.war.src.excludes = **/*.jpg

This also works when I need to exclude JPGs.  Now, according to
http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/war/properties.html, I should
be able to specify both on the same property assignment:

"Comma or space separated list of Ant path patterns specifying what
files and directories from ${maven.war.src} that should be excluded from
the web application.

This tells me that I should be able to do this: (comma-separated)

maven.war.src.excludes = **/*.jpg,**/*.gif

or even this: (space-separated)

maven.war.src.excludes = **/*.jpg **/*.gif

However, neither of these work!! (ugh!!)   What happens in each chase is
that NO files get excluded, as if the property was never specified to
begin with.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bug, a feature, or if I'm missing
something completely obvious?  All other components of the war are build
perfectly.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Re: Bug, or User Error with maven.war.src.excludes

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.
I guess you were talking about the maven 1 War plugin?

I've tried to look at the source of the plugin [1] and it uses the
ant:fileset notation:

<ant:fileset dir="${maven.war.src}">
    <include name="${maven.war.src.includes}"/>
    <exclude name="${maven.war.src.excludes}"/>
    <exclude name="${maven.war.expansion.excludes}"/>
</ant:fileset>

When looking at the documentation of the ant:fileset [2] it seems the
war plugin documentation is a straight copy of this. Only nowhere in the
examples given on this page are multiple values comma or space
separated. After more searching I maybe thought it could be the
difference between the fileset excludes attribute and excludes element.
After a google search [3] it seems that is the case. It seems the bug is
between the documentation and the implementation of the war plugin. It
the plugin uses the exclude attribute, it should be ok. Could you maybe
try to check out the plugin, change it and look whether it helps?

Something like this:

<ant:fileset dir="${maven.war.src}" excludes="${maven.war.src.excludes}">
    <include name="${maven.war.src.includes}"/>
    <exclude name="${maven.war.expansion.excludes}"/>
</ant:fileset>

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

[1]