Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jeeanah Pravind Kumar <p....@uom.ac.mu> on 2009/04/01 10:28:14 UTC

Re: FTP sampler does not download file from IPv6 server

On Monday 30 March 2009 16:08:39 sebb wrote:
> [...]
> >  > >  > jmeter2.3.2 on ubuntu 8.10. I am trying to test the ftp server
> >  > >  > using the IPv6 address of the server.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > The log on of the ftp server shows that jmeter has logged on the
> >  > >  > server. However the file requested is not downloaded. The server
> >  > >  > log does not give any clues why the file is not fetched. Only a
> >  > >  > file of zero bytes having the name of the requested file is
> >  > >  > created in the download directory on the jmeter client.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > jmeter summary gives an error rate of 100%. I cannot see any
> >  > >  > messages on the jmeter log why the file is not not downloaded.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > I have tried with both anonymous user and a real user. Uploading
> >  > >  > also gives an error rate of 100%. lftp client works fine when
> >  > >  > using the IPv6 server.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >  > >  > commands, e-mail: jmeter-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> >  > >
> >  > > I have found out that the ftp sampler gives the PASV command to the
> >  > > ftp server. For Ipv6 to work it should give the EPSV (extended
> >  > > passive) command.
> >  >
> >  > Are you sure?
> >  >
> >  > I would have thought that would make it incompatible with many
> >  > existing FTP clients.
> >  >
> >  > >  How to make jmeter give that command to the ftp server?
> >  >
> >  > JMeter actually uses Commons Net (1.4.1) to perform the FTP commands,
> >  > so I'll have to find out if that supports IPv6.
> >  >
> >  > Do you know of a publicly accessible server using IPv6 that could be
> >  > used for testing?
> >  > This would help with testing any changes.
> >  > E-mail me privately if you don't want to share the URL with everyone.
> >
> >  I am not able to get to any IPv6 site from my workplace. Perhaps due to
> >  restrictive firewalling. (I am not the administrator)
> >
> >  I will try some sites from home and let you know.
> >
> >  My ftp server is not visible on the internet due to the above
> > restrictions (also I am behind a Nat).
> >
> >  However the logs of the ftp server indicate that the PASV command is
> > sent to it and it gives an IPv4 result of type (0,0,0,0,12345). This
> > should be something like (|||,12345). I will also try setup another ftp
> > server to see if something different happens.
>
> It might be useful to check what happens if you use a basic ftp client
> to talk to the server. Does that send PASV?

Well it depends on the client. IPv6 aware clients like lftp send the EPSV
command.

The stock ftp client on linux distributions do not yet support IPv6.

I've checked jmeter ftp with another ftp server (proftpd), there also jmeter
sends the PASV command to the server.

Am trying to look in the code of Commons to see what I can do.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/04/2009, Jeeanah Pravind Kumar <p....@uom.ac.mu> wrote:
> [...]
>  > >  restrictive firewalling. (I am not the administrator)
>  > >
>  > >  I will try some sites from home and let you know.
>  > >
>  > >  My ftp server is not visible on the internet due to the above
>  > > restrictions (also I am behind a Nat).
>  > >
>  > >  However the logs of the ftp server indicate that the PASV command is
>  > > sent to it and it gives an IPv4 result of type (0,0,0,0,12345). This
>  > > should be something like (|||,12345). I will also try setup another ftp
>  > > server to see if something different happens.
>  >
>  > It might be useful to check what happens if you use a basic ftp client
>  > to talk to the server. Does that send PASV?
>  >

> Well it depends on the client. IPv6 aware clients like lftp send the EPSV

One would hope so ...

>  The stock ftp client on linux distributions do not yet support IPv6.

So does that work with the server you are trying to reach or not?

BTW, which make of FTP server are you using?

>  I've checked jmeter ftp with another ftp server (proftpd), there also jmeter
>  sends the PASV command to the server.

Yes, I think it will always do so.

>  Am trying to look in the code of Commons to see what I can do.

If you find an fix, a patch would be welcome - just create a JIRA
issue and attach it.

Might be worth creating a JIRA enhancement request anyway.

I've posted a message on Commons Dev about NET ftp and IPv6, but so
far no response.