Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/02/01 21:19:25 UTC

Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Hey all,

I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC nomination
and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.

I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think
that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.

That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
<http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)

I also just released Scarab 1.0b1 and am focused primarily on making Scarab
the best issue tracking tool around. Expect to see more great developments
on this project. It is by far, one of the best designed, largest and most
complex pieces of software that I have ever had the pleasure of helping
develop. It will be around for a very long time and will eventually put
Bugzilla out of business. More info: <http://scarab.tigris.org/>

thanks,

-jon

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
So long, and thanks for all the fish =:0)

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
I'll second that, glad to see your not departing from jakarta altogether.

/colin

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Cool!

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC nomination
>and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.
>
>I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think
>that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
>this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.

I'm sorry about this. Even when disagreeing with you I always got
something to learn from the exchange.

>That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
>downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
>big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
><http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)

I have been tracking jwz.org, and reserved myself one night for my next
trip to San Francisco to see JWZ's DNA Lounge. Now it will have to be
two nights :)

(...)

See you 'round, Jon. Call if you come to Spain.

P.S.: (This holds for any Apache Committer coming to Madrid. I feel
quite isolated here).

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
Sorry to see you go. Thanks for all your help, which many times meant
simplifying things for me (read: Velocity rocks!).

Bojan

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC nomination
>and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.

Uh.

>I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think

it was '97 (I know, I know, I'm a pain in the ass :)

>that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
>this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.

Oh, I know how that feels :-) I really enjoyed my year off all this mess
and I think you'll do the same.

>That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
>downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
>big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
><http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)

Way cool, dude! Awesome!

>I also just released Scarab 1.0b1 and am focused primarily on making Scarab
>the best issue tracking tool around. Expect to see more great developments
>on this project. It is by far, one of the best designed, largest and most
>complex pieces of software that I have ever had the pleasure of helping
>develop. It will be around for a very long time and will eventually put
>Bugzilla out of business. More info: <http://scarab.tigris.org/>

I strongly hope so and I plan to try it out myself in the near future.

Anyway, keep it up, dude :)

Stefano.

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/3/02 2:00 PM, "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org> wrote:

> Did you guys check out codecon - http://www.codecon.org
>
> It is going to be held at the DNA Lounge (and I will be speaking about
> Reptile)...

Yea, that sounds like a fun event...

> hm... how long before Jon hosts an ApacheCon ??? ;)

I would definitely be into hosting an after party...:-)

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/1/02 3:46 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Another famous OSS guy did that also (http://www.jwz.org/).
> Are you guys starting a trend ? :)

Funny you should mention jwz. His club is right down the street from mine
(http://www.dnalounge.com/). We are on the same block in SF and are
essentially neighbors. I spent some time talking with one of his managers
(Alexis) last night. Lots of fun indeed. :-)

> Scarab 1.0 at last !!! :)
> I think we can start checking it out to replace Bugzilla with it eventually.
> I'm sure Justy will volunteer to start playing with it on nagoya.

It isn't final, but it is definitely usable...next up will be fixing some of
the performance issues...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC
nomination
> and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.
>
> I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think
> that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
> this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.

Your fireball made it look like you had a lot of extra energy left ;-)
Anyway, thanks for all the work.

> That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
> downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
> big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
> <http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)

Another famous OSS guy did that also (http://www.jwz.org/).
Are you guys starting a trend ? :)

> I also just released Scarab 1.0b1 and am focused primarily on making
Scarab
> the best issue tracking tool around. Expect to see more great developments
> on this project. It is by far, one of the best designed, largest and most
> complex pieces of software that I have ever had the pleasure of helping
> develop. It will be around for a very long time and will eventually put
> Bugzilla out of business. More info: <http://scarab.tigris.org/>

Scarab 1.0 at last !!! :)
I think we can start checking it out to replace Bugzilla with it eventually.
I'm sure Justy will volunteer to start playing with it on nagoya.

Remy

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 07:19, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC nomination
> and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.
>
> I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think
> that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
> this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.

sorry to see you go.

> That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
> downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
> big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
> <http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)

kool.

> I also just released Scarab 1.0b1 and am focused primarily on making Scarab
> the best issue tracking tool around. Expect to see more great developments
> on this project. It is by far, one of the best designed, largest and most
> complex pieces of software that I have ever had the pleasure of helping
> develop. It will be around for a very long time and will eventually put
> Bugzilla out of business. More info: <http://scarab.tigris.org/>

So when do we get to replace Jakartas Bugzilla with this ?
:)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Jakarta PMC Nomination - Rejection

Posted by Micael Padraig Og mac Grene <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Thanks, Jon.  You are a legend.

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
At least it seems that your are in for serious fun!
Hard to imagine a better reason to quit the PMC.

I hope you enjoy it and thanks for making things happen.

All the best,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
good luck jon!

you'll be missed...

- robert

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Shit. You'll be sourly missed. I guess we could not expect you to be
the ugly duckling for ever.

Best of luck with your new project. No doubt you'll do well.

At 12:19 01.02.2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I just wanted to say that I'm not going to accept my Jakarta PMC nomination
>and do not want to be included in the voting for the next election.
>
>I have been involved with Java Apache/Jakarta since Sept 1996 and I think
>that it is time for me to move on from being politically responsible for
>this group. Honestly, I'm jaded and burned out on it all.
>
>That said, I recently signed a 10 year lease on a prime event space in
>downtown San Francisco and I am moving towards spending more time being a
>big time night club owner than working on Jakarta. More info:
><http://www.studioz.tv/> (p.s. that site is built with Anakia <smile>)
>
>I also just released Scarab 1.0b1 and am focused primarily on making Scarab
>the best issue tracking tool around. Expect to see more great developments
>on this project. It is by far, one of the best designed, largest and most
>complex pieces of software that I have ever had the pleasure of helping
>develop. It will be around for a very long time and will eventually put
>Bugzilla out of business. More info: <http://scarab.tigris.org/>
>
>thanks,
>
>-jon
>

>--