Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2006/02/02 18:19:36 UTC

Component parameterization

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz skrev:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>> We can also release with non OSGi blocks. The blocks are ongoing
>>> work, the most important thing that lacks is "two level
>>> configuration". As discussed before the component configuration is
>>> part of the block and constant, so they need to be parametrized in
>>> some way for making them user configurable. We have not had much
>>> discussion about how to do this yet.
>>

>> My understanding is that a user can parameterize a block at deployment
>> (which is supported by the block deployer) if he wants. Otherwise the
>> default values are taken.
>

> Yes, but that says nothing about the details about parametrization of
> components (which isn't implemented yet), does it?

Do you mean how the parameters from wiring.xml finally arrive in the component
configuration?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Component parameterization

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> Do you mean how the parameters from wiring.xml finally arrive in the
>> component configuration?
>>
> Yes.
>
> Parameters from the wiring get to the servlet as servlet context
> parameters, but how to solve it for components is unclear. Not talking
> about that I don't think that the servlet and the individual components
> should be parametrized as a collective, they should be parametrized
> separately. But that is another question.

Isn't it enough that you can reference block parameters in your component
declaration, e.g.

<continuations-manager>
   <expiration-time>{expiration-time}</expiration-time>
</continuations-manager>

And in block.xml you have

<block>
   <parameters>
     <parameter name="expiration-time" default="1000"/>
   </parameters>
</block>

What am I missing?

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Reinhard Poetz skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz skrev:

>>> My understanding is that a user can parameterize a block at
>>> deployment (which is supported by the block deployer) if he wants.
>>> Otherwise the default values are taken.
>>

>> Yes, but that says nothing about the details about parametrization of
>> components (which isn't implemented yet), does it?
>
> Do you mean how the parameters from wiring.xml finally arrive in the
> component configuration?

Yes.

Parameters from the wiring get to the servlet as servlet context
parameters, but how to solve it for components is unclear. Not talking
about that I don't think that the servlet and the individual components
should be parametrized as a collective, they should be parametrized
separately. But that is another question.

/Daniel