Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Chris Kruger <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/25 06:32:00 UTC

Building and Running Roller 5 with Eclipse Indigo

Hello,

I am currently setting up my dev environment to get a better idea of
how Roller ticks. I've followed these instructions

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Build+and+Run+Roller+5+in+Eclipse

and have progressed nearly to the point that it's ready to build. I do
have the following two issues and was hoping some fine people might be
able to give me some guidance.

I'm using Eclipse Indigo EE edition with the m2e and svn team plugins
installed.

My first problem is that I get the error under Faceted Project Problem
: Target runtime Apache Tomcat v6.0 is not defined.

Tomcat is not listed as a dependency for roller in the doc and I
thought this build/run configuration was using Jetty.

The next issue I have is an error in the Maven category.

I get "Plugin Execution not covered by lifecyle configuration". These
errors relate specifically to gen-db-script, open-jpa..., startdb,
stopdb and son on.

This URL is relevant
http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered but after
reading it I'm still a little unclear as to what the appropriate
action is to solve my issue.

Suggestions?

Chris K.
chris.kruger@gmail.com

Re: Building and Running Roller 5 with Eclipse Indigo

Posted by Harald Wellmann <ha...@gmx.de>.
Am 25.08.2011 06:32, schrieb Chris Kruger:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently setting up my dev environment to get a better idea of
> how Roller ticks. I've followed these instructions
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Build+and+Run+Roller+5+in+Eclipse
>
> and have progressed nearly to the point that it's ready to build. I do
> have the following two issues and was hoping some fine people might be
> able to give me some guidance.
>
> I'm using Eclipse Indigo EE edition with the m2e and svn team plugins
> installed.
>
> My first problem is that I get the error under Faceted Project Problem
> : Target runtime Apache Tomcat v6.0 is not defined.

I checked out
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/roller/tags/roller_5.0

and found the following:

./.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.xml:3:  <runtime
name="Apache Tomcat v6.0"/>

I guess this is the cause of your problem.

In general, checking in Eclipse metadata files like .classpath,
.project, and .settings is bound to cause problems, since they contain
too many user-dependent settings.

m2eclipse/m2e is usually able to (re)construct Eclipse metadata from
POMs when importing the project into the workspace.

> Tomcat is not listed as a dependency for roller in the doc and I
> thought this build/run configuration was using Jetty.
>
> The next issue I have is an error in the Maven category.
>
> I get "Plugin Execution not covered by lifecyle configuration". These
> errors relate specifically to gen-db-script, open-jpa..., startdb,
> stopdb and son on.
>
> This URL is relevant
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered but after
> reading it I'm still a little unclear as to what the appropriate
> action is to solve my issue.

In most cases, it's safe to use the <ignore/> option. Usually, the POM
editor offers a quickfix to insert the required section automatically.
For some plugins, this does not work (don't know why), but then you can
always copy and adapt the required lifecycle definition to your current
plugin.

If you require openjpa bytecode enhancement, you may want to use an m2e
extension which does this automatically.

See https://github.com/hwellmann/m2eclipse-extras/wiki

Hope that helps,

Harald

Re: Building and Running Roller 5 with Eclipse Indigo

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Might be worth setting up a fresh workspace as you should not get
these errors.  I have it working with Indigo.