Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2001/02/19 14:54:19 UTC

1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

at the usual place: dev.apache.org/dist

... along with the apache_1.3.18.zip ... for those of you on cr/lf insistent
file systems like Win32 or Netware.

Bill

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
+1 on BSDi 4.1

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 03:33:01PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> If this requires we dump 1.3.18 and put out 1.3.19 then so be it.
> The comment "almost as if there is a drive to call it "done"
> despite the problem" I will ignore, since it's definately
> not the case.

Sorry! No slight intended! But I couldn't tell if people were really looking
into it. All that I saw were a bunch of of +1 messages on shipping it. There
were a couple mentions about the tmpnam stuff. But other than Martin's query
about the compile warning, there wasn't a peep.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:22:58AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> From: "Greg Stein" <gs...@lyra.org>
> > Our past few releases have had little niggly problems here and there. Every
> > one of them. It would be nice to get a release that can just sit out there
> > for six months. I have a bad feeling that this may be an indicator that
> > we're going to have to release another.
>
> I agree with near all of what you said - until you got to this statement.  In the
> intervening months between Feb when I jumped on board, and October, there was a
> single release in those 8 months.  Which means ... the server was stable?
> Not on your life.  We simply didn't 'have it together' - or were lacking motivation
> to roll a release.  Look at the bugfix list for 1.3.13/14 - it is far, far too long.
>
> Please suggest we hold to correct this issue.  Please don't suggest that starving off
> the pipe of valid corrections for six months is healthy.

Eh? I'm not sure how you got this out of my statement. I said "let's deal
with this problem so we don't have to release again in two weeks when we
find this last-minute change bunged things up."

I'd like to *hope* we can have a release that lasts for six months.
Certainly, I'm not saying we should prevent new releases for that time.

> > Can we slow down and examine the issue?
>
> I don't have any objection if you want to call for a new tarball and to dump
> 1.3.18.  I can imagine some third party module that wouldn't expect us to have
> manipulated the source string as we have done.

Right. That's my worry. And with a last-minute change, we have no feedback

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 07:35:03PM -0800, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > at the usual place: dev.apache.org/dist
>
> looks good on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.
>
> got a warning though:
>
> http_vhost.c: In function `fix_hostname':
> http_vhost.c:712: warning: passing arg 1 of `ap_unescape_url' discards qualifiers from pointer target type

Euh... shouldn't we have that looked at? This was caused by a last-minute
checkin by Dean. Martin already pointed it out on the list, and a couple
people have mentioned the compiler problem. However, it seems like nobody is
actually talking about it. Almost as if there is a drive to call it "done"
despite the problem.

Our past few releases have had little niggly problems here and there. Every
one of them. It would be nice to get a release that can just sit out there
for six months. I have a bad feeling that this may be an indicator that
we're going to have to release another.

Can we slow down and examine the issue?

>From what I can see, it is changing r->hostname in place. r->hostname is
hopefully allocated by us, so it is (technically) safe to change. It might
be a bit safer to strdup before changing, though. Otherwise, we end up
propagating the change back into (say) the r->headers_in table. That is
certainly a bit different than what happened before. Can we be sure of the
fallout? What if somebody looked at the headers, rather than r->hostname?
For example, how about CGI and the HTTP_HOST environ variable? It might now
have an unescaped hostname. All those CGI scripts that expect it to be
unescaped will see something else.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> at the usual place: dev.apache.org/dist

looks good on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.

got a warning though:

http_vhost.c: In function `fix_hostname':
http_vhost.c:712: warning: passing arg 1 of `ap_unescape_url' discards qualifiers from pointer target type

(plus the tmpnam() warnings).

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://ask.netcetera.dk/>
more than 70M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:20:01 +0000 (GMT), James A. Sutherland wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Brian Havard wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:10:12 +0000 (GMT), James A. Sutherland wrote:
>>
>> >If I'm lucky, I might be able to get my hands on a copy of OS/2 tomorrow
>> >and try building on that...
>>
>> I've just done a successful build on OS/2 & am uploading a binary now.
>> Of course I'd love for someone else to give it some testing :)
>
>The only version I have here ATM is 1.2; somehow I doubt Apache would work
>well on that... What are the minimum requirements software-wise for OS/2
>ATM?

Well, it has to be 32 bit which means 2.0+ & TCP/IP is required which was
only included in v3+ (I think there was an add on package for 2.0). v1.2
would be around 10 years old and ran on 286's. Even v3 is over 5 years old
now.

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Brian Havard wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:10:12 +0000 (GMT), James A. Sutherland wrote:
>
> >If I'm lucky, I might be able to get my hands on a copy of OS/2 tomorrow
> >and try building on that...
>
> I've just done a successful build on OS/2 & am uploading a binary now.
> Of course I'd love for someone else to give it some testing :)

The only version I have here ATM is 1.2; somehow I doubt Apache would work
well on that... What are the minimum requirements software-wise for OS/2
ATM?

James.

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, James A. Sutherland wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Dale Ghent wrote:

> > | Built & running fine on Linux - two warnings about using "tmpnam()",
> > | though. htpasswd.c and htdigest.c, IIRC. Any reason not to use mkstemp()
> > | instead where possible??
> >
> > Built and running fine on Solaris 7, with DSO, --enable-module=most, and
> > USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
> >
> > I did not see the tmpnam() warnings mentioned on the Linux build.
>
> I was using --enable-module=all --enable-shared=max on Linux/x86, FWIW.
> I'm running a build on Solaris 8 ATM, but won't be able to test on that
> machine.

OK, Solaris 8 (on Sparc) just built OK.

There's a single warning I saw on Linux/x86 as well:
http_vhost.c:712: warning: passing arg 1 of `ap_unescape_url' discards
qualifier from pointer target type

Apart from that, the build was fine.

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, James A. Sutherland wrote:

| On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:
|
| > at the usual place: dev.apache.org/dist
|
| Built & running fine on Linux - two warnings about using "tmpnam()",
| though. htpasswd.c and htdigest.c, IIRC. Any reason not to use mkstemp()
| instead where possible??

Built and running fine on Solaris 7, with DSO, --enable-module=most, and
USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT

I did not see the tmpnam() warnings mentioned on the Linux build.

/dale

Re: 1.3.18 is tagged and rolled, ready for testing

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.