Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Andre Valente <av...@ksventures.com> on 2002/06/26 09:28:21 UTC

Becoming a collaborator?

Hi,

I have been following the Lucene project from a distance, since it was not
at Jakarta. I would be interested in becoming a collaborator.

I am only a medium-level Java programmer, but I have been working with
knowledge management and search for quite a while.

I would be particularly interested in working on some of the application
extensions described in:
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/luceneplan.html
such as the crawlers.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Andre Valente

Re: Becoming a collaborator for LARM?

Posted by Clemens Marschner <cm...@lanlab.de>.
> Hello Andre,
>
> I would suggest that you contact some of the people who started
> thinking about that stuff, such as people who started the appex project
> and webcrawler-LARM contribution in Lucene Sandbox, and see if they
> need help with anything.
> Webrcrawler-LARM is actively developed, even though changes are not
> commited frequently, but the appex project seems pretty dormant, so
> maybe you can put somelife into it.

Hi,

we'd really need more contributors on the LARM project (the web crawler). If
you want to join, please
- download the latest CVS version of the lucene-sandbox with the LARM
repository (if you don't know how, please refer to
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html)
- read docs/technical_overview.{rtf|pdf}, CHANGES.txt, and TODO.txt (the 2
latter being updated at every commit)
- tell me your ideas and what you want to work on

Regards,

Clemens Marschner

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Its irrelevant.  I could add a script to check it out, build it and
upload it to the server no matter where it was.
I'll be happy to add it to the bi-hourly update process that POI uses,
currently running on one of my desktops
but soon to be running on set.superlinksoftware.com.

-Andy

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by Clemens Marschner <cm...@lanlab.de>.

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
dead.  LARM looks good.

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Appex/LARM con-fusion / was: Re: Becoming a collaborator?

Posted by Clemens Marschner <cm...@lanlab.de>.
I'll have a look at it within the next days, and I'll also read the
luceneplan doc once more since I can't remember what was in there.

It's just a matter of free time... I didn't have much of that during the
last week. It'd be much easier if at least ONE could delve into that crawler
and become a real second contributor. There's a lot one can do.

I must admit that since I'm the only contributor I commit my changes usually
only once a week; that's why it seems that there's not much going on with
it. I have experimented a lot with a repository in the last week (and found
out that SQL REALLY is too slow) and am working on some issues with
redirected pages at the moment. I'll try to get the configuration thing done
VERY SOON, since this seems to be the next major thing that prevents people
from using it. The other one would be a web site for the crawler where I
could put documentation to. .html docs seem to be read by more people as
.pdfs in a CVS repository.

--Clemens

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Becoming a collaborator?