Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ei...@gmail.com on 2015/08/04 20:02:42 UTC

[users@httpd] 443 VirtualHost setup yields "Server should be SSL-aware" error

RHEL: 5
Apache: 2.2.29

Trying to set up a VirtualHost in my 443 configuration
Listen 443 (also tried Listen 443 http)

DocumentRoot    "/www/secure"

NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:443>

<IfDefine leveltest>
ServerName      test.something.com
RewriteEngine On
SSLEngine     On
SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests Off
SSLCertificateFile      "/example.crt"
SSLCertificateKeyFile   "example.key"
SSLCertificateChainFile "example-intermediate.crt"
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine levelprod>
RewriteEngine On
SSLEngine     On
SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests Off
RewriteEngine On
SSLEngine     On
SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests Off
SSLCertificateFile      "/example.crt"
SSLCertificateKeyFile   "example.key"
SSLCertificateChainFile "example-intermediate.crt"
</IfDefine>

SSLOptions              +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData
SSLProtocol             ALL -SSLv2 -SSLv3

The above results in the following error when trying to start:
[Tue Aug 04 11:20:09 2015] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has
no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile] ((null):0)

We know that certificate listed works as we are currently using it,
only difference is we tried including it in a VirtualHost now.

Re: [users@httpd] 443 VirtualHost setup yields "Server should be SSL-aware" error

Posted by Matias Visbeek <ma...@vatrox.com>.
Glad to hear you find the issue cause.
It is absolutely factible that the error was caused by that included file
if it was defined for a different VirtualHost, as the configuration you set
is only for port 443. Does that included file set configurations for a
VirtualHost?

Posted by ", ," <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matias Visbeek <ma...@vatrox.com>.

Posted by ", ," <us...@gmail.com>.
That is correct.

Posted by Matias Visbeek <ma...@vatrox.com>.

Posted by ei...@gmail.com.

Posted by Matias Visbeek <ma...@vatrox.com>.
Hi,

Posted by in...@mathijs.info.
On 2015-08-04 20:02, eigenbrais1@gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> SSLCertificateFile      "/example.crt"
> SSLCertificateKeyFile   "example.key"
> SSLCertificateChainFile "example-intermediate.crt"

<snip>

> The above results in the following error when trying to start:
> [Tue Aug 04 11:20:09 2015] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has
> no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile] ((null):0)
>
> We know that certificate listed works as we are currently using it,
> only difference is we tried including it in a VirtualHost now.

The leading slash before example.crt makes the httpd think it's an
absolute file location, so it is looking in the root of your filesystem
for a file called example.crt. It's probably next to your example.key
file so removing the leading slash should resolve this issue.

Br,
Sling