Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com> on 2020/07/12 20:29:26 UTC

Consensus needed: replace james-site master branch with live branh - reset

Hello,

I would like to use james-site#master branch to hold the code to build
the website automatically.

If no objections are received in the next 3 days I'll move forward with
the change.

Moving forward with the website I would like to replace the existing
james-site master branch with the current live branch.

The old master is backed up in master-backup.

The old master is generated and is not the current live website.

The current live website is served from asf-site.

Nothing will change with respect to live and staged env, master is
unsued to my knowledge.

The goal is to start clean with a fresh site building code.

The code will live in james-site and will use Antora to build the website.

Antora will take the content from the other git repositories.

All this has been tested out and it works, we need to polish it and
document it.

I've gone through the Antora docs over the weekend and I'll start
pushing changes soon.

https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/live

https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/master

https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/master-backup

https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/asf-site

Eugen Stan
+40720 898 747 / netdava.com

Re: Consensus needed: replace james-site master branch with live branh - reset

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.
+1! I don't see any issues with it too. Thank you Eugen !

Rene.

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
La 13.07.2020 12:11, Tellier Benoit a scris:
> Le 13/07/2020 à 13:01, David Leangen a écrit :
>> Hi,

>> Thanks for all your efforts. Sorry that I have not moved forward much in the past days. I have been preoccupied with other things.
>>
>> I am having trouble imagining what you are referring to exactly in your description. It would be very useful for me to see some kind of visual representation of how you are intending to organize the site.
> I think Eugen is mostly speeking of where to locate the JenkinsFile with
> the instructions to build the site.
>>   I was thinking that the current top page is pretty nice, so maybe it could be reworked, then the docs would somehow fit into that.
> +1
>
> I propose we keep the same front page (index.html) and migrate the
> documentation website whose landing page is currently documentation.html.
>
> This would just mean Changing Antora root index.html into documentation.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Benoit

'live' is now the default branch in james-site. See

I've created staging branch
https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/staging

I will configure the Jenkinsfile so that:

staging should publish to asf-staging => https://james.staged.apache.org
live should publish to asf-live => https://james.apache.org

And I think that is our automated publishing process.
When we are satisfied with staging, all we have to do is merge it in
live and it will be published.

Of course, there will be details involved.

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Leangen <ap...@leangen.net>.
Hi,

>> If no objections are received in the next 3 days I'll move forward with
>> the change.

Thanks for all your efforts. Sorry that I have not moved forward much in the past days. I have been preoccupied with other things.

I am having trouble imagining what you are referring to exactly in your description. It would be very useful for me to see some kind of visual representation of how you are intending to organize the site. I was thinking that the current top page is pretty nice, so maybe it could be reworked, then the docs would somehow fit into that.

Cheers,
=David

Re: Consensus needed: replace james-site master branch with live branh - reset

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Le 13/07/2020 à 03:29, Eugen Stan a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use james-site#master branch to hold the code to build
> the website automatically.
+1

> If no objections are received in the next 3 days I'll move forward with
> the change.
>

> Moving forward with the website I would like to replace the existing
> james-site master branch with the current live branch.
>
> The old master is backed up in master-backup.
>
> The old master is generated and is not the current live website.
>
> The current live website is served from asf-site.
>
> Nothing will change with respect to live and staged env, master is
> unsued to my knowledge.
To mine too...
> The goal is to start clean with a fresh site building code.
>
> The code will live in james-site and will use Antora to build the website.
>
> Antora will take the content from the other git repositories.
>
> All this has been tested out and it works, we need to polish it and
> document it.
+1, I propose to do it in the community page of the antora website.
> I've gone through the Antora docs over the weekend and I'll start
> pushing changes soon.
>

> https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/live
>
> https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/master
>
> https://github.com/apache/james-site/tree/master-backup