Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tobias Grimm <li...@e-tobi.net> on 2004/02/11 01:19:50 UTC

cvs2svn.py vs. repository structure

Hello,

After successfully getting subversion to work with apache2, I would like to
migrate an old CVS repository now.
Using cvs2svn.py this generally works, but not with the expected result.
In my CVS repository I have several modules:

var/lib/cvs/vdr
var/lib/cvs/vdr-plugin-teletext

After...

cvs2svn.py --create -s -v -s /var/lib/svn /var/lib/cvs

...I get the following svn repository structure:

svn/trunk/CVSROOT
svn/trunk/vdr
svn/trunk/vdr-plugin-teleltext
svn/tags/debian_version_0_0_1-1
svn/tags/debian_version_0_11-3
svn/tags/debian_upstream_0_0_1
svn/tags/debian_upstream_0_11
svn/branches/source-dist/vdr
svn/branches/source-dist/vdr-plugin-teletext

What I have expected is something like this:

svn/vdr/trunk
svn/vdr/branch
svn/vdr/tags
svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/trunk
svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/branch
svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/tags

I'm pretty sure that I either did something wrong or that I havn't
understood how a svn repository should be stuctured.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tobias

Re: cvs2svn.py vs. repository structure

Posted by Tobias Grimm <li...@e-tobi.net>.
Tom Mornini wrote:

> I would guess the areas under tags/ are the most confusing. I would
> surmise a guess that you

Yes they are. At least cvs2svn should have created a subdirectory under tags for
each imported cvs module.

And as Adrian and Francois mentioned too, having a project/trunk structure is
often much nicer. At least from my point of view it's kinda more "natural" than
having trunk/project ... especially if you have several more or less independent
projects in one repository.

Adding something like a layout-option to cvs2svn would definitly be an improvement.

But I think, there already has been a discussion about this:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=38965

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.
On Feb 10, 2004, at 5:19 PM, Tobias Grimm wrote:

> After successfully getting subversion to work with apache2, I would
> like to migrate an old CVS repository now.
> Using cvs2svn.py this generally works, but not with the expected
> result.
> In my CVS repository I have several modules:
>
> var/lib/cvs/vdr
> var/lib/cvs/vdr-plugin-teletext
>
> After...
>
> cvs2svn.py --create -s -v -s /var/lib/svn /var/lib/cvs
>
> ...I get the following svn repository structure:
>
> svn/trunk/CVSROOT
> svn/trunk/vdr
> svn/trunk/vdr-plugin-teleltext
> svn/tags/debian_version_0_0_1-1
> svn/tags/debian_version_0_11-3
> svn/tags/debian_upstream_0_0_1
> svn/tags/debian_upstream_0_11
> svn/branches/source-dist/vdr
> svn/branches/source-dist/vdr-plugin-teletext

Yes, after having used it, that's what I expected.

> What I have expected is something like this:
>
> svn/vdr/trunk
> svn/vdr/branch
> svn/vdr/tags
> svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/trunk
> svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/branch
> svn/vdr-plugin-teletext/tags
>
> I'm pretty sure that I either did something wrong or that I havn't
> understood how a svn repository should be stuctured.

I don't think you did anything wrong. :-)

The 'generally accepted' SVN repository has trunk/ branches/ and tags/
directories at it's root.

The CVS HEAD is placed into trunk/ (but can be anywhere, technically),
tags are placed in
tags/ and branches are placed in /branches

I would guess the areas under tags/ are the most confusing. I would
surmise a guess that you
don't commonly use branches, but that you created the projects with CVS
import and used
your module name as the vendor tag, and that's where your branches are
comming from.

Of course, it's possible I've totally misread the situation, and simply
don't understand what
the issue is. :-)

--
-- Tom Mornini