Posted to users@jena.apache.org by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net> on 2012/07/23 18:10:14 UTC

Unable to Run Jena'a ARQ Command Line Utility

List Members,

I recently download the "apache-jena-2.7.2" distribution, which includes
"jena-arq-2.9.2.jar" under the "bin" directory. Unfortunately, when I run
the ARQ command line utility I receive an error message. For example, when I
execute

arq --data <some valid Turtle file> --query <some valid SPARQL query file>

the command line utility returns the following error:

Error: Could not find or load main class <Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution
path>\ARQ

I have the following environment, PATH and CLASSPATH variables set, and I
restarted my OS.

Environment

----------------
JENAROOT = "<Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution path>"

Path

------

.other semicolon-delimited path entries., followed by

<Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution path>\bat; <Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution
path>\bin

ClassPath

------------

.other semicolon-delimited path entries., followed by

<Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution path>\bat; <Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution
path>\bin

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony

RE: Unable to Run Jena'a ARQ Command Line Utility

Posted by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net>.
Rob,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, "cd %JENAROOT% returns the install path.

> There should be no need to change the CLASSPATH and it isn't used by the batch scripts anyway
I didn't think so, but the documentation is ambiguous.

> Are you running the batch files by their full name i.e. type 'arq.bat'
> rather than just 'arq'?
No need in Windows 7. The "PATHEXT" environment variable accounts for a number of common extensions including ".bat", and I suspect most "recent" Windows versions do as well.

Problem solved, and here is why...

For the Windows 7 "PATH" environment variable (not sure on other Windows versions):

1. Do not append this path: "...;%JENAROOT%\bat". For some strange reason, Windows 7 does not recognize user environment variables within system environment variables.

2. So, I replace it with the fully spelled "%JENAROOT%" path as follows. "...; C:\apache-jena-2.7.2\bat". This still does not work. Windows 7 does not allow whitespace characters after the semicolon delimiter. Instead, appending to the PATH variable's value as follows does work:

"...;C:\apache-jena-2.7.2\bat"

3. Given the solution in "2" resolved my earlier problem, I revised the "PATH" variable by replacing the path spelled in "2" with my original apache-jena-2.7.2 path, namely

"...;C:\(placeholder)\Documents\_MyStuff\Semantics\ARQ\ARQ 2.9.2\apache-jena-2.7.2\bat"

This also worked. Of course this makes sense, since Windows allows files names with whitespace characters, and not just Windows 7. Windows 7 install includes a "Program Files (x86)" directory name, and it does not complain when its PATH system environment variable's value contains this directory name.

Regards,

Anthony

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net>.
Rob,

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net>.
> The ARQ part is wrong.  There should be no capitalized ARQ - that looks more like an old
> (when ARQ was distributed separately) path.
Let's start with the distribution I downloaded. Here are the links I followed.

On the web page located at http://jena.apache.org/download/index.html, I clicked the http://www.apache.org/dist/jena/ link. This brought me to the "Apache Jena Releases" web page. On that page I selected the "binaries/" hyperlink, which brought me to the "Index of /dist/jena/binaries" (http://www.apache.org/dist/jena/binaries/) web page.

>From that web page I downloaded the "apache-jena-2.7.2.zip" file, last modified on 02 Jul 2012.

Is this the latest, stable release?

If so, the distribution contains the "README" file attached in this response. Since all the text runs together when opening it in NotePad, I instead opened it in WordPad for better readability. An excerpt from that file follows.

<excerpt>
Installing Jena
  ---------------

   To use Jena in your application, ensure all the .jar files in the lib/
   directory are on the classpath or available to your web application. Jena
   is built and test with these .jar files.

  Scripts
  -------

  The directories bat/ and bin/ provide script wrappers to run Jena command
  line tools.  The scripts can be copied to a convenient place on the
  command path.

  To use the Jena tools from the command line you need to set the JENAROOT
  environment variable to point to the location where you have
  unzipped the Jena distribution:

  Windows:
    set JENAROOT \path\to\apache-jena-2.7.1
    bat\sparql.bat --version

  Linux
    export JENAROOT=/path/to/apache-jena-2.7.1
    bin/sparql --version
</excerpt>

How precisely do you interpret setting up the JENAROOT environment variable in Window. What is stated in the README file is inconsistent with instructions provided at http://jena.apache.org/documentation/tools/:

<quote>
How to set up the CLASSPATH and run Jena command line tools

On Linux / Mac

    export JENAROOT=the directory you downloaded Jena to
    export PATH=$PATH:$JENAROOT/bin

On Windows

    SET JENAROOT=the directory you downloaded Jena to
    SET PATH=%PATH%;%JENAROOT%\bat
</quote>

Bottom line: I still receive the same error message

"Error: Could not find or load main class (...)\Documents\_MyStuff\Semantics\ARQ\ARQ"

The path presented in this error message makes no sense.

On my system the apache-jena-2.7.2 distribution install is "(...)\Documents\_MyStuff\Semantics\ARQ\ARQ 2.9.2\apache-jena-2.7.2".

I set the JENAROOT environment variable to "(...)\Documents\_MyStuff\Semantics\ARQ\ARQ 2.9.2\apache-jena-2.7.2C:\Users\Anthony Petosa\Documents\_MyStuff\Semantics\ARQ\ARQ 2.9.2\apache-jena-2.7.2".

I appended the following path to the PATH variable: "%JENAROOT%\bat".

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

> No problem, and I appreciate your responses.
>
> In addition to setting the environment, class and classpath variables:
>
> Environment
> ----------------
> JENAROOT = “<Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution path>”

Exactly what is this set to?

[[
Error: Could not find or load main class <Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution
path>\ARQ
]]

The ARQ part is wrong.  There should be no capitalized ARQ - that looks more like an old (when ARQ was distributed separately) path.

> Path
> ------
> …other semicolon-delimited path entries…, followed by <Apache Jena
> 2.7.2 distribution path>\bat; <Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution
> path>\bin

bat or bin -- not both.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ASPSA <as...@optonline.net>.
I assigned the JENAROOT variable an absolute path. I simply used "<Apache Jena 2.7.2 distribution path>\bat" in the post as a shortcut for the actual path.

> I recently download the "apache-jena-2.7.2" distribution, which
> includes "jena-arq-2.9.2.jar" under the "bin" directory.
> Unfortunately, when I run the ARQ command line utility I receive an
> error message. For example, when I execute
>
> arq --data <some valid Turtle file> --query <some valid SPARQL query
> file>
>
> the command line utility returns the following error:
>
> Error: Could not find or load main class <Apache Jena 2.7.2
> distribution
> path>\ARQ
>
> I have the following environment, PATH and CLASSPATH variables set,
> and I restarted my OS.

Will ARQ run if you an absolute path and set just the JENAROOT variable?  For instance, I can do the following:

$ JENAROOT=/usr/local/lib/apache-jena-2.7.2/
/usr/local/lib/apache-jena-2.7.2/bin/arq
No query string or query file

(I'm not a Jena developer, but a satisfied user who makes lots of use of the command line utilities and recently switched to 2.7.2.)

//JT

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.