Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/28 14:32:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache + DSL + Router + Beginner = partial web-presence outside router!HELP!

I am having problems getting my apache webserver in what appears to
be
transmitting (specifically) webpages to the WAN.

Here's my setup:

RedHat 7.3
Apache : 1.3.23

Router:
Linksys DSL 4port router handles the PPPoE connection to the service
provider and serves as a hub locally.
   I don't use DHCP, all machines have static IP addresses.
   Forwarding enabled on port 80 to the apache webserver ip address.

Domain name:
I have registered with noip.com which provides dynamic dns service
since my DSL line is not a static IP address. This works very well,
and I have tested pings from few of the websites which provide the
service. They were all successful in resolving my hostname.

Apache config:
The installation is default. The only thing I changed was the
ServerName directive to my noip registered hostname (well fqdn).

Here are the following things I have tried and the results:

1. Within my LAN (on "my" side of the router) apache is working. I am

able to get to the pages (just the apache documentation which is
default).
I am also able to run cgi-bin scripts. I created a few small ones and

they all work fine.

2. When I browse the webserver from the "other side" of the
router,things get weird. What I do for this is go to
babelfish.altavista.com and request a translation for my website.
Result: nothing. babelfish is unable to retrieve the page and times
out.
access_log states that the babelfish was served and gives a 200
status
which I have come to understand as an okay (still trying to find the
list of codes and related messages).

3. The freaky thing is that I am able to run the cgi-bin scripts
without problems. Babelfish is able to retrieve the results in no
time and show me a translated version without problems.

4. I went ahead and modified some of the directory settings. I
changed
/usr/share/doc to "allow from all" instead of localhost. Then
babelfish timed out trying to access /doc/. Then I specifically set
the deny all and this generated error response:Forbidden, which
babelfish translated. So I figure that the information is able to get
through both ways - otherwise there would be no error message.

Could someone please assist? this is so frustrating ! Does anyone
have
any ideas as to what could be the screwup?

Thanks in advance

Venkman venkman69@yahoo.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache + DSL + Router + Beginner = partial web-presence outside router!HELP!

Posted by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com>.
Okay, I tried the netstat -rn:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U        40 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U        40 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG       40 0          0 eth0

I've been reading every bit of info I can get on the web, but nothing clearly
states what I must do to "set" the tcp window size. Plus, I am getting into
some scary route commands that I'm not very certain about.

Also, do you know why it actually solved your problem? I mean why should the
size of some buffer make it break? I mean I can see speed issues, but wouldn't
have forseen a break.

Thanks for your help,
Ven

Posted by Mayl Support <su...@mayl.net>.
A lesson for everyone.

Always check for updates for your routers, hardware & software....

Please...upgrade -  sometimes that alone will be the answer to many
questions.

Enjoy!

Posted by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com>.
Okay I found out how to change the tcp window size:
 route del default
 route add default window 16384 dev eth0 gw 192.168.1.1

I'm hoping this looks alright in order to set the window size to 16384.
This didn't produce any different results either.
I also tried playing with the MTU number on my linksys router - still nothing.

What I did find, and was very curious, was that I CAN see some of my webpages
on babelfish!
Just that they need to be SMALL. So I started playing with an index file and
kept increasing decreasing until I found out that 1151 characters is the max it
can handle. Now is that a coincidence that 576 happens to be the minimum MTU
value and 2 * 576 = 1152?

ANyways, so when I said I can only execute scripts, that's not entirely true. I

Posted by Ross Scanlon <ro...@theinternethost.com.au>.