Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by David Turner <tu...@genome.wi.mit.edu> on 2001/12/05 17:36:32 UTC

NullPointerException when serializing null String objects

I ran into a problem with SOAP's current String serialization when it
encounters null String objects.   I couldn't find anything in either the
user or dev archives regarding this so I don't know if this is a bug or
not.

I ended up writing my own String serializer which handled the null
situation.  I only used my String serializer on the client side when
sending data to the service -- the soap service just uses the default
soap String serializer/deseralizer.   I have attached the source code
for my String serializer in case it can be incorporated into SOAP.

What I would like to know is if this is currently an issue or not?   Is
SOAP currently able to handle null String objects during serializing?

Much appreciated.

David

Re: NullPointerException when serializing null String objects

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
I just committed a test to handle your case correctly; I would
appreciate if you could try it out!

Thanks,

Sanjiva.,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
OK, I understand the problem - the problem is that your MyClassSerializer
isn't following the contract that the built-in StringSerializer expects;
that it will not be invoked for null-valued strings. The way it works
for null valued properties via the bean serializer for example is that
the BeanSerializer checks for null-ness.

The expected contract is poorly documented (the src is the doc :-)), so
I agree this should be treated as a bug .. I'll try to commit a fix
that checks for null-ness to avoid this situation.

Sanjiva.

----

Posted by David Turner <tu...@genome.wi.mit.edu>.
Hi everyone,