Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vijaya <sv...@solutionscraft.com> on 2012/07/10 09:29:04 UTC

Equivalent of Web Service Extension in IIS6 on XP Professional

In order to configure the ISAPI Redirector , according to the Apache documentation, I need to add a new Web Service Extension in IIS6. But the problem is that the web service extension option exists only on IIS6 on Windows 2003 server and not on XP pro.

Can anyone help me on how do I add the tomcat extension from IIS6 on XP professional?

Thanks,
Vijaya

RE: Equivalent of Web Service Extension in IIS6 on XP Professional

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <ve...@t-online.de>.
Hi Christopher,

> Great, thanks for the note. Could you make a small documentation patch
> and attach it to a new bugzilla issue? It's worth pointing out that
> this step isn't required in IIS 5.1 (if that is indeed true).

I think the current documentation should already make clear that the step isn't required for IIS 5.1, since it says:

"If you're using IIS 6.0 you must also do the following:
Using the IIS management console, add the Jakarta Isapi Redirector to the Web Service Extensions."

However, I think the phrase "If you're using IIS 6.0" could be changed to "If you're using IIS 6.0 or newer", because adding the ISAPI DLL to the allowed Web Service Extensions also applies for IIS 7 and 8  (however, there the section is named "ISAPI and CGI restrictions").

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

Re: Equivalent of Web Service Extension in IIS6 on XP Professional

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Equivalent of Web Service Extension in IIS6 on XP Professional

Posted by "verlag.preisser@t-online.de" <ve...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

> On 7/10/12 3:29 AM, Vijaya wrote:
> > In order to configure the ISAPI Redirector , according to the
> > Apache documentation, I need to add a new Web Service Extension in
> > IIS6. But the problem is that the web service extension option
> > exists only on IIS6 on Windows 2003 server and not on XP pro.
> >
> > Can anyone help me on how do I add the tomcat extension from IIS6
> > on XP professional?

According to the documentation, the step of adding the Isapi DLL to the allowed Web Extensions applies only to IIS 6.0 and above.
However, XP uses IIS 5.1, and there this option is not available, as extensions are automatically allowed to run.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

Re: Equivalent of Web Service Extension in IIS6 on XP Professional

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.