Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org> on 2013/03/29 14:14:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating (RC5)

Hi all,

another try on a release vote. As you see I also refined the vote e-mail a
bit according to the discussion with Fabian. ;-)

The vote is open for 72 hours, i.e. it will close Monday, 1st April, 14:15.
;-)

Greetings,

Sebastian

======================
A candidate for the Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating release is available at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/marmotta/3.0.0-incubating/

The release candidate is based on the sources tagged with 3.0.0-incubating
in:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-marmotta.git

The release candidate consists of the following distribution archives:
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-installer.[zip|tar.gz]
  SHA1 of ZIP: 640afb75c2789d2b00ce3cef624d0af4e7d85211
  SHA1 of TGZ: 1dbb47730bb0d00cce75c75eda8d03c1f84e0a74
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-ldpath.[zip|tar.gz]
  SHA1 of ZIP: 156a174956edecba2847d8fe9425a06cf37c35ba
  SHA1 of TGZ: fcf3542bf73c34f4648aa62ab307461271aceced
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-src.[zip|tar.gz]
  SHA1 of ZIP: 27ac3e964ca57f4524a683ed3d1a0104d9079341
  SHA1 of TGZ: 582ebb0aa569a2463a75e414ac70c300e593f206
- apache-marmotta-3.0.0-incubating-webapp.[zip|tar.gz]
  SHA1 of ZIP: 79bf84cf1222bf2f0bc0a8db016bd036b529092d
  SHA1 of TGZ: a099ce6222cba50a417737129ff46d0f633ab79f

A staged Maven repository is available for review at:

https://repository.apache.org/

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating.
The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least three +1 Marmotta PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

[CANCELLED][VOTE] Release Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On 01/04/13 22:42, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> I don't see any further information in support of the current approach.
>
> -1

OK, so vote CANCELLED.

Later I'll go in detail to every thing you noticed may be wrong, and see
what we can do.

Thanks for your support and time on this nasty task.

Kind regards,

--
Sergio Fernández

Re: [] Release Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 31/03/13 19:31, Sergio Fernández wrote:
 > Hi Andy,
 >
 > On 31/03/13 17:23, Andy Seaborne wrote:
 >> The N&L files aren't what I was expecting which was to follow the
 >> examples of CouchDB or Solr.

(I am referring to the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt in the src zip - these
are the most important ones.  The src is the product.)

 > Sebastian follow some things from those projects, since they have
 > similar setup regarding js libraries included and so on.

That is not what I see in the NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt in the src zip
file.  As I have detailed in my reply to the vote call, Marmotta has a
different approach.

 >> which can be for Marmotta:
 >>
 >> """
 >> The JQuery Library is copyright 2013 jQuery Foundation and other
 >> contributors,
 >> and licensed under MIT License. The source code is available at
 >> https://github.com/jquery/jquery
 >>
 >> Source Locations:
 >> - platform/marmotta-core/src/main/resources/web/public/js/lib
 >> """
 >>
 >> There, they have one minimal entry for included material (name and
 >> copyright line), and the full license in LICENSE. Nowadays that can
 >> be a pointer (we trust the web infrastructure :-).
 >
 > Sebastian preferred to be detailed.

It is not following the examples that were referred to.  They
follow the line of "details go in LICENSE; NOTICE is minimal".  The
Marmotta approach is to put everything in NOTICE.

For already properly marked included MIT/BSD, yon only need the LICENSE.
  If you wish to put name/copyright in NOTICE then fine but putting the
LICENSE entry in NOTICE instead of LICENSE is more than that.

 > This text is what we currently have in NOTICE, which is longer that
 > what they use in CouchDB, for instance, but Sebastian preferred to be
 > detailed about what and where. Although nothing mandatory, I'm fine
 > with it since is not so hard to read.

Details go in LICENSE:

http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

You can vary that with a reason but I don't see one.

 > Tomorrow I'll be out the whole day, but on Tuesday we'll take a look
 > with detail to those recommendations, and see if we can manage to
 > release Marmotta one of these days...
 >
 > Thanks for your n revision ;-)
 >
 > Cheers,

I don't see any further information in support of the current approach.

-1

The LICENSE contains things that aren't licenses.

The NOTICE contains material that
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
puts in LICENSE.

-----------------------

It would be better if any changes are pushed to git, then let dev@ know
for a discussion.  One reason there are many RC's is that discussion is
rushed and votes called when verifying the comments have been addressed
could be done.

	Andy

Re: [] Release Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On 31/03/13 20:31, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> OK, although you didn't vote with -1, should we cancel the vote for this
> RC5?

I don't know what to do... actually the vote has passed with 3 +1s
Thomas, Sebastian and myself), all of them non-binding, and no neutral
or negative vote. But Andy pointed some details that I don't know if
they block the release.

So, due the bad dates, I'll let it open for additional 24h to get the
opinion from other people.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

On 31/03/13 17:23, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> The N&L files aren't what I was expecting which was to follow the
> examples of CouchDB or Solr.

Sebastian follow some things from those projects, since they have
similar setup regarding js libraries included and so on.

> There, they have one minimal entry for included material (name and
> copyright line), and the full license in LICENSE. Nowadays that can be a
> pointer (we trust the web infrastructure :-).

Sebastian preferred to be detailed.

> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
>

> 1/ You have put in text now suggested by #permissive-deps
> in NOTICE, rather than in LICENCE.

Where it is now, see for instance webapp NOTICE with:

"This software contains the PostgreSQL JDBC drivers, which are available
under a "New BSD" License. Copyright (c) 1997-2011, PostgreSQL Global
Development Group. For details, see http://jdbc.postgresql.org/"

At LICENSE are all licenses grouped by those shared by more than one
project.

> 2/ I'm not sure about the inclusion of templates of license in
> LICENSE.txt. The templates aren't a license. Each BSD or MIT license is
> unique because it includes the name of the owner and the year(s) (hence
> "BSD-class license"). Either you want to include the license, in which
> case you should put in exactly what the owner has used (people use
> different formatting) in LICENSE as do the example projects or it's
> informational, in which case it should not be in NOTICE.

Ummm, regarding license templates you may be right: we must to respect
each license as it is.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
[...]

See

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/trunk/NOTICE
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/trunk/LICENSE

(they have chosen to include the license)

Sebastian write:
"""
[...]

(adjust to align the different copyright statements of 2013 and 2009)

	Andy

-----------------------------------
==  New (3-clause) BSD License

Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER> (see NOTICE)
All rights reserved.

. . . .

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating (RC5)

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org>.
My

+1 (binding) as well.

:-)

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org>.
Forgot adding the staging repository location:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemarmotta-033/

and the release notes:

Release Notes - Marmotta - Version 3.0-incubating

** Sub-task
    * [MARMOTTA-2] - Code importation
    * [MARMOTTA-8] - implement versioning component
    * [MARMOTTA-11] - separate existing LMF code into Marmotta parts and
LMF parts
    * [MARMOTTA-12] - Setup a preliminary website for Apache Marmotta
    * [MARMOTTA-40] - Merge all branches to default branch
    * [MARMOTTA-102] - Rename packages in the triple store
    * [MARMOTTA-103] - Rename packages in ldcache
    * [MARMOTTA-104] - Rename packages in ldpath
    * [MARMOTTA-105] - Rename packages in the marmotta platform
    * [MARMOTTA-106] - Rename packages in commons
    * [MARMOTTA-107] - Rename packages in build-extras
    * [MARMOTTA-108] - Rename packages in marmotta-client
    * [MARMOTTA-114] - Migrate the content to the new site
    * [MARMOTTA-120] - Rename packages in launchers
    * [MARMOTTA-121] - Not in maven-central:
com.ezware.oxbow:task-dialog:jar:1.3.6
    * [MARMOTTA-122] - Not in maven-central:
dfki.km.json:jsonld-java:jar:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
    * [MARMOTTA-123] - Not in maven-central: fi.tikesos:rdfa-core:jar:0.0.8

** Bug
    * [MARMOTTA-91] - NPE when PUTting metadata through the REST webservice
    * [MARMOTTA-92] - Changing Database Configuration Mode
(create/validate) doesn't persist
    * [MARMOTTA-93] - NPE when PUTting content through the REST webservice
    * [MARMOTTA-94] - Resource CREATE through REST webservice doesn't seem
to work
    * [MARMOTTA-95] - InterceptingRepositoryConnection not working as
expected
    * [MARMOTTA-100] - ldpath-backend-linkeddata should depend on ldclient
    * [MARMOTTA-116] - Content negotiation is not properly working
    * [MARMOTTA-117] - marmotta-archetypes not working
    * [MARMOTTA-118] - ldclient-provider-rdf DBPedia test is failing
    * [MARMOTTA-130] - Create REST documentation only for platform modules
    * [MARMOTTA-132] - Possible issue with SPARQL Update syntax
    * [MARMOTTA-134] - Fix the license at pom.xml files
    * [MARMOTTA-139] - ConcurrentModificationException in
ConfigurationService
    * [MARMOTTA-140] - ntriples not recognized when importing
    * [MARMOTTA-141] - no absolute path for marmotta home
    * [MARMOTTA-144] - Create a proper NOTICE file
    * [MARMOTTA-147] - ConfigurationService must not store descriptions,
types and values into one file
    * [MARMOTTA-151] - Configuration change breaks the platform
    * [MARMOTTA-153] - Fix template engine for working fine with the
secundary theme
    * [MARMOTTA-158] - KWRL parser does not support comments
    * [MARMOTTA-159] - LDPath parser does not support comments
    * [MARMOTTA-160] - Fix Marmotta Archetypes
    * [MARMOTTA-164] - log files are put in LMF_HOME_IS_UNDEFINED/log
    * [MARMOTTA-166] - KiWiStore ValueFactory performs badly in
multi-threaded, high-load imports
    * [MARMOTTA-167] - Use commons-collections ReferenceMap instead of
WeakValueMap in KiWiValueFactory
    * [MARMOTTA-174] - Profiles administration ui is not initialized with
the current profile
    * [MARMOTTA-179] - Fix the incorrect application of header plugin on
some third-party javascript libraries

** Improvement
    * [MARMOTTA-96] - Remove/adapt the first step of the "First steps"
tutorial since it doesn't have an effect therefore confusing
    * [MARMOTTA-133] - Improve SPARQL Update feedback when query fails
    * [MARMOTTA-136] - SPARQL HTML results not working
    * [MARMOTTA-137] - Tests failed when local port 8080 is not available
    * [MARMOTTA-138] - LDPath Test Suite uses Solr
    * [MARMOTTA-172] - Provide better file names when exporting resources
    * [MARMOTTA-173] - Allow security profiles to build upon/depend on
other profiles

** Task
    * [MARMOTTA-1] - Project importation
    * [MARMOTTA-4] - Create a public image for the project
    * [MARMOTTA-83] - Create documentation for KiWi triplestore
    * [MARMOTTA-84] - Create documentation for LDClient
    * [MARMOTTA-90] - Implement file-based caching for LDCache
    * [MARMOTTA-98] - Fix reactor plugin configuration
    * [MARMOTTA-101] - Rename the imported packages to org.apache.marmotta.*
    * [MARMOTTA-109] - Fix custom dependencies
    * [MARMOTTA-111] - Replace C3P0 by Tomcat JDBC Pool in case C3P0
license issues are not resolved
    * [MARMOTTA-112] - Clean dependencies that can not be resolved from
maven central
    * [MARMOTTA-113] - Remove
http://devel.kiwi-project.eu:8080/nexus/content/groups/public/ from
parent/pom.xml
    * [MARMOTTA-126] - Replace UnboundID LDAP SDK for Java
    * [MARMOTTA-131] - Create distribution tasks for releasing the software
    * [MARMOTTA-148] - Provide content on the main pages

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 29/03/13 14:14, Sebastian Schaffert wrote:
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating.
> least three +1 Marmotta PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Marmotta 3.0.0-incubating
> [ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Here my +1 (binding) to this RC5.

Happy Easter to all!

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
So, summarizing: even in our internal vote, only IMPC members have
binding vote, right?

Sorry, I though we had binding in this internal vote, but not in the
final one at general@incubator.a.o.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by Thomas Kurz <tk...@apache.org>.
Checked build, installer and tested some functions, works fine.
+1 (binding)

Happy Easter