Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/09/01 17:58:08 UTC

Re: cvs commit: maven/src/java/org/apache/maven/jelly/tags/maven SnapshotSignature.java

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 11:41, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> [...]

This was decided long ago that it is simply SNAPSHOT. Whatever you
decide to present to the world as your SNAPSHOT is your snapshot. There
are problems trying to automatically flip SNAPSHOTS in the release
plugin when there are multiple SNAPSHOTs. Multiplicity is a simplicity
killer, much like having multiple source directories. I am -1 on putting
the version in the SNAPSHOT so please back it out.

> > I can see why you want the version number, i.e. maven-1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT.jar
> >
> > if that's the case, people can just do a jar:deploy or jar:install, no?
> Yes, but if we want to create daily release, we'll use jar:snapshot.
>

> > > For version that ends with SNAPSHOT, we can cut the end and make the
> > > snapshot signature with current version without snapshot string.
> > I'd much rather people put the -SNAPSHOT in the project.xml like we have
> > now.
> >
> > > If you're always -1, I'll rollback my changes, but I think that's a best
> > > practices to have the version in the jar name.
> > I agree. What comments do you have on the stuff I wrote above?
>
> Do you want a rollback or not?
>

> > p.s. thanks for all the work lately!
> > --
> > dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting