Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/08/01 16:28:29 UTC

Re: Influencing the standards which govern Derby

I wanted to summarize where I think this discussion stands now:

1) SQL - Individuals can influence the SQL spec by renting cheap seats
from ANSI for $500/year. See
http://www.ansi.org/membership/overview/overview.aspx?menuid=2.

2) JDBC - Fortunately, the JDBC spec lead will continue to be a member
of our community. In addition, individuals can join the JCP for free.
See http://jcp.org/en/participation/membership.

3) DRDA - No-one has proposed a strategy for influencing DRDA.

I have emailed my contacts at the DBIOP Consortium, the body which
governs the DRDA spec. I asked them whether they would consider offering
Derby a cheap seat like ANSI, a scholarship, or some other creative way
to participate. I was told the following:

3a) The DBIOP Contortium doesn't offer cheap seats or scholarships.
3b) However, it might be possible for a Consortium member to act as
Derby's sponsor, advocating our proposals provided that our submissionis
were complete. So far this is just a possibility. I don't know how
likely it is.

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I wanted to summarize where I think this discussion stands now:
> 2) JDBC - Fortunately, the JDBC spec lead will continue to be a member
> of our community. In addition, individuals can join the JCP for free.
> See http://jcp.org/en/participation/membership.

Individuals can also get involved inside Apache -- details are at
http://www.apache.org/jcp/ .

 -jean