Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/23 08:04:24 UTC

JSP decoration template

Hi,
In Jetspeed 2 all decoration templates are in Velocity. I am working on a
portal application and need to have decoration templates in JSP.

Can some one provide pointers/documentation links to get me started.

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Silent authentication

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Why you want to be contacted? Can't you post the solution here so that
it will be useful to other users?

Raj

RE: Silent authentication

Silent authentication

RE: JSP decoration template

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
	Please look at the beginnings of my documentation for decorations
here: http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-decorators.html.  It
is meant to be as easy as possible (using pre-defined macros) to develop a
layout with knowing little or no Velocity whatsoever.  I try to give a
mini-tutorial on Velocity and macros, just enough to get an idea of what is
going on in the background and to get the job done.  I have also tried to
side-step using the Jetspeed Power Tool as it has become bloated and hard to
follow code wise.  So, I would direct you to look at
src/webapp/WEB-INF/jetspeed_macros.vm to get an idea of the logic you need
to use within your JSPs (IMO, custom tags would be best suited to replace
macros).

I would eventually like to get away from Velocity (even though I love it)
and use an approach similar to Tapestry/Wicket and do direct HTML tag
replacement.  I have written APIs (where I work) to do just this but thought
it best to hold off until after release to look at replacing the current
Velocity-based, decoration mechanism.

We originally had JSP and Velocity based decoration/layout mechanisms but
found that Velocity worked much better in that we could control the Velocity
rendering as opposed to the container controlling the JSP rendering.

Another issue is the fact that the layout portlets also use Velocity and use
Velocity directives (#parse()) to include the header and footer decoration
templates (look at:
${JETSPEED}/src/webapp/WEB-INF/templates/layout/html/columns/layout.vm).
This being said, you would need to add functionality/rewrite the layout
portlets to handle JSPs.  Again, we used to do this but it became a
maintenance nightmare and mixing Velocity and JSP decorations resulted in
unpredictable results at best.

Regards,
-Scott

Re: JSP decoration template

Posted by Jouni Rajala <jo...@systeemiratkaisu.fi>.

Re: JSP decoration template

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

> I think this template structure is helpful for the DRY (don't repeat
> yourself) concept. Imagine: you are changing the portal to a new design:
> would you like to edit and test the same snippet in all the pages?
> Something similar is aimed in the Tiles framework within Struts framework
> using JSP(http://struts.apache.org/struts-tiles/index.html). Could you
> take
> a look at it if it is helpful integrating this in your future work on JSP
> templates?

AFAIK, struts templates are not divided into multiple file. Struts template
is a single file which holds the complete page outline. Page fragments
(tiles) are included into the page outline at runtime. And this is what
actually want to achieve. Jetspeed decorator templates are defined just once
(if I am not wrong) and there is no question of DRY.
For a new portal design, I believe you will need a new tempalte which may
have totally diffrent structure.

> difficult to edit a template in a editor (e.gEclipse).
>
> Maybe it could be helpful in documentation a short "how-to": editing
> templates in editors (e.gEclipse).
> (helpful mainly for beginners like I am :))

Yes, any kind of documation is always helpful.

Thanks,

Raj

Re: JSP decoration template

Posted by Andrej Vanek <a....@bonum.sk>.

Re: JSP decoration template

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Randy,

Re: JSP decoration template

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
While I don't like JSPs much, I'm certainly not fond of Velocity either.
> And I do think we should support JSP based templates.
> As I've been too busy with other area's in Jetspeed I haven't found the
> time
> to work on that yet though.
> So, in addition to Randy, I will help out where I can too.
> But indeed, the initial bulk of the work you probably need to start with
> yourself.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Raj