Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Goeke <go...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/09 00:12:36 UTC

Fair Scheduler question: Fair share and its effect on max capacity

Pretty straight forward question but can the fair share factor actually
impact the total number of jobs / slots a pool can take up even if it is
the only pool with active jobs submitted?

We currently have a pool that has this configuration:
"minMaps": 2,

"minReduces": 1,
"maxMaps": 200,
"maxReduces": 66,
"maxRunningJobs": 200,
"minSharePreemptionTimeout": 300,
"weight": "4.0"

The total cluster capacity is over above 250 mappers but we are
finding that this pool is never able to hit that max capacity for maps
OR jobs even during load tests. I was about to bump the minMaps
property but I wanted to confirm that this could potentially help
alleviate our issue.

--
Matt

Re: Fair Scheduler question: Fair share and its effect on max capacity

Posted by Matt Goeke <go...@gmail.com>.
Looks like my phrasing was off :)

When I said it is never able to hit max capacity I meant max capacity for
the pool (e.g. we never saw it take up the full 200 maps AND even if every
jobs uses 1 mapper could never get to 200 concurrent jobs for that pool).

--
Matt

Posted by Matt Goeke <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Goeke <go...@gmail.com>.