Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Nicko Cadell <ni...@neoworks.com> on 2005/12/11 11:45:18 UTC

RE: Log4net patch to fix ambiguous references in XML docs

I was thinking of dropping the changelog as the primary means of
communicating the changes made between versions. I think that the JIRA
issue list marked as Fixed In the appropriate version gives a much more
logical breakdown of the changes. It is broken up by functional change
and also links through to the SVN changesets. This is why I am very keen
on making sure that there is an issue to track each feature change.

The disadvantages to using the JIRA issue list are that it is not a
single file that can be read offline, and that it is not searchable by
changed file name. It is possible to get the revision history for a file
in SVN and the comments should link to the issue being worked on.

I just haven't found the Changelog file very usefull. If there is enough
support for having a Changelog file then we will maintain it in addition
to the JIRA issues list.

Nicko

RE: Log4net patch to fix ambiguous references in XML docs

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
I'm in favor of keeping the Changelog. I think its important to have an
offline changelog that people can quickly check. It shouldn't be that
difficult to take the JIRA issues and copy and paste them into a
changelog file.

I've been using GAIM as my instant messenger client for a while. When a
new version comes out I glance at this file:

 http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/ChangeLog.win32

I don't have to dig around on the website to find their bug tracking
section or create an account on an issue tracking system just to take a
quick peak at what changed.