Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/06/14 03:05:42 UTC

Re: [Juglist] Struts 2x vs larval Cocoon?

> [...]
> Servlets) and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread and never
> could need or want for more stick with Struts.
>
> If you've got multiple content input types and sources,  transformation
> types, styles, output types, etc. and want to lower cost of development
> over time, I'll bet you'll probably win with Cocoon once you've mastered
> XSLT and friends.  Do me a favor, don't develop a major application
> around it without first understanding the concepts (and making sure the
> team does).  There is nothing MORE cryptic than bad XSLT (and there are
> even examples of it within Cocoon).
>
> Granted, if I were to work with a bunch of people today, this very
> moment, who all knew JSP, and I had ambitious performance and load
> requirements, I'd probably not choose Cocoon yet.  I've not used it in a
> number of production situations like I have JSP.  I don't know what will
> happen if I add 1.5 million requests.  (where I do know what will happen
> with JSP).  But if I had a small->medium internal app that I  would have
> to continue to maintain over time..  I'd probably use Cocoon.  Or if I
> had a small website with a reasonable and/or predictable number of hits,
> where maintainability was a principal concern I'd use Cocoon.
>
> Cocoon versus JSP is much like the PERL (or VB) versus Java argument if
> today was 1998 or so.
>
> Anyhow, like I said, I feel its time to start moving toward Cocoon and
> XML/XSLT.  Approach it like any other new technology.
> Here are the sites using it, perhaps one would offer up the statistics
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/link/livesites.html.  I've given you more
> reasons not to use Cocoon in this than TO, don't get me wrong, I think
> JSP totally and completely sucks, but I wouldn't use Cocoon unless I had
> the right team in place to make proper use of it and had passed the
> proper learning curve.  (at  least not for a major, high load, mission
> critical application).
>
> Cocoon is showing a lot of momentum, and I think is the future if not
> the present.  I think anyone who isn't looking into it and its
> underlying technologies is really doing themselves a disservice.
>
> I'm slowly migrating what little web-development I do these days towards
> Cocoon and investing in learning its underlying technologies.  I even go
> so far to advocate its use in certain situations.  (and maintain as I've
> always maintained, that JSP sucks nearly as much as its parent...ASP).
>  Some folks may think I'm jumping the gun.  Had the same problem when I
> moved from VB to Java in 1998.  (still did some VB until around mid-1999).
>
> (So now I shall be flamed by the Cocoon-crowd and the JSP crowd alike. .
> . Thats how I shall know I'm right ;-) )
>
> -Andy
>
> PS - Cocoon is not the hammer, no matter the tool one can always create
> crappy applications.  The question is whether you have to fight your
> tool to create good ones.  I would argue you do for JSP.  (maybe others

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: [Juglist] Struts 2x vs larval Cocoon?

Posted by Jorge De Flon <jd...@netappsmexico.com>.
Hi,

I am new in this forum and in cocoon, but it seems very promising.
I found your reply very interesting and complete too.

I also think that JSP are far from being the best solution, even with
struts. but I was using struts with velocity and it worked very well.
The doubts that I have about cocoon are performance and tools.
I work with XMLSpy from altova and it supports very well XML in general and
XSLT in particular. It is not integrated with cocoon but it is a very good
tool for the task (XSLT), so the only thing that I am dubitious is
performance: is there a benchmark or a comparison against something else
somewhere?

thanks for any commentary
Jorge DeFlon