Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2012/12/01 21:20:53 UTC

Change the compression algorythme

Hi,

What's the right way to change the compression algorythme for a cf?

Can I simply disable the table, alter the table with the new
compression alg info, and enable it back? As a result, I will still
have a table compressed with the previous algorythme, but at some
point in the future, it will slowly move to the new one when
compactions are occuring?

That mean that one table can have more than one compression alg used
at a time, right?

Or this is not possible and I need to make sure it's fully
un-compressed before I enable another compression algorythme?

Thanks,

JM

Re: Change the compression algorythme

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Perfect, thanks.

I will use the hbase.regionserver.codecs option to make sure the new
algorithm is working fine.

JM

Posted by Kevin O'dell <ke...@cloudera.com>.
JM,