Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Lawhead <jl...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/30 01:34:54 UTC

Error-Page configuration problem

I am using Tomcat 4.1.18 behind Apache 2.0.44 with mod_jk on a Win XP Pro machine.

I have been developing a JSP application for several months. The application is close to initial release and I decided to add an error-page directive to web.xml to temporarily mask and notify us of any unexpected lingering exceptions.

Whenever I add the following to web.xml I get a "Parse Error" from Tomcat with a list of valid tags for web.xml:

 <error-page>
  <exception-type>org.apache.jasper.JasperException</exception-type>
  <location>/error.jsp</location>
 </error-page>
The location reference "error.jsp" is a very simple valid jsp error page.

Strangely enough if I remove the exception-type tag and the location tag Tomcat notifies me that the error-page tag is incomplete and tells me the valid contents of an error-page tag. But when I try to use it properly Tomcat acts as if its never heard of the error-page tag.

I have also tried using <error-code>500</error-code> instead of exception-type but that causes the same problem.

I've searched the bug database and mailing list and haven't found any mention of this problem.

I also tried using a page directive defining an error page but I still received the default exceptions I had planted in a test page. I'd rather use the web.xml way if possible anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines