Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/01/13 05:16:58 UTC

[merlin] merging 3.4 branch to HEAD

This is a heads up concerning CVS activity coming up.  I'll be merging
the current 3.4 branch into HEAD.  This merge introduces a number of
changes to the api and implementation - in particular:

   a) the assembly logic has been moved out of the activation
      package ad into the model package
   b) model listeners and events have been added
   c) class renaming to make names more closely correlate with
      function

This is a little bit different to the 3.3 -> 3.4 roadmap the Niclas
posted a couple of weeks ago.  Basically the changes in 3.3 concerning
the thread model need more logic concerning timeout handling which need
to be exposed through the meta model.  It is simply more efficient to do
this based on merge of 3.4 and HEAD.  Once the merge is done I'll tag
the result as a 3.3 SNAPSHOT.  The work remaining between 3.3 and 3.4
will focus on API finalization and the addition of the code security model.

So if that confused you, here is the revised version outline:

    3.2.5 about to go up for a release vote
    3.3   adds update meta-model and threading strategy
    3.4   adds API finalization and code security impl

Please note that none of the above effects the 3.2.5 release process
(which is under a separate CVS branch).

Cheers, Steve.