Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2014/02/13 04:37:36 UTC

Convert everything to Git

Can we start the process of converting everything to Git. I don't really see any benefit in using Subversion any longer.

If so then we should just get together for a day and convert them and then get infra to use what we converted to do the flip.

Jason (who would be happy to never execute svn again)

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
That's only because you haven't met me in person.

On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like you more and more! :-)
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>
>> Can we start the process of converting everything to Git. I don't really
>> see any benefit in using Subversion any longer.
>>
>> If so then we should just get together for a day and convert them and then
>> get infra to use what we converted to do the flip.
>>
>> Jason (who would be happy to never execute svn again)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
I like you more and more! :-)

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
The SVN repo should probably be retained anyway, just in RO format, and
with a new URL that indicates it shouldn't be used. You can try to retain
all history, but it's never quite in the same form, really. Perhaps no one
cares, though?

+1 for decompose into individual repos.

Fred.

PS, perhaps one day we'll meet, who knows. :-p

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
With myrepos one (or a team) can list many VCS repos in a config file and do
batch operations on all of the repos or selectively clone (checkout) repos.

http://myrepos.branchable.com

myrepos is written in perl and packaged in Debian:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/myrepos.html

Regards, Thomas Koch

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
On 14 Feb 2014, at 2:27, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Why wouldn't you put something with its own release cycle in its own
> repository?

maven-release-plugin and git's branching/tagging really kinda make that
hard to avoid.

Unless we move EVERYTHING to generations :)

Mark

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 13 February 2014 23:57, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
[del]
> The biggest win for me is working on branches. Working with branches in SVN is horrible, only worse in p4 which is saying a lot. The ability to easily create branches, squash commits, incrementally improve them without fear. I constantly rebase against master and it's really easy with all the great tools like GitX, GitTower, or SourceTree to easily see changes. The Eclipse support for Git is a million times better, and doing anything Git related with JGit in Java is always a pleasure (because the #2 CGit guy, wrote JGit)
[del]
> But for me it's a primarily a personal workflow issue.

I'd really appreciate a write up on that workflow.

I'm still too green using git and I'd rather follow something that
others have thought about and blessed than try to develop that on my
own.

It would also help people wanting to contribute to focus on
contribution rather than version control gymnastics.

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
MRELEASE-862, which should fix MRELEASE-812 (both fixed for next release)

However, rumors go this fixes the Git Issue(s), but also that it doesn't.
No good feedback, so I'm not sure if this will be the N-th release in a
row with bad Git support.

Robert

[1] https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-862
[2] https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-812

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Same/similar issue with svn:externals today... IOW if there are unpinned
svn:externals m-r-p does not pin & unpin them during the release:prepare
stage.

I think the scm api may need some refactoring to enable these kind of mixed
repository actions

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
OK.
But for the record, I was not (yet) proposing to release using the
submodule repo.

More the strategy proposed by Mark: use submodules 'just" to ease
retrieving a whole lot of projects under a working directory tree, and then
release project by project (=repo by repo) as-of today.
Anyway, I suppose that if this workflow was to become required/on the
critical path, this bug would receive more attention to get tackled.

Posted by Tomasz Krakowiak <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Linking to podcasts and articles is intertresting, especially for those who
haven't done it before.

What this needs i a volunteer to do the task.....

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
Some of the converters/one of the converters correctly creates git tags
from svn branches, however I'm unsure what happens if the "tag" has been
committed to as sometimes happens with n00b devs in SVN land.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
We already know that maven-plugins is going to be a big PITA unless we just
decide to stay with the current git-svn clone and accept it structure.

Having done quite a few migrations I know I'd be spending a truckload of
time getting the filter-branch scripts and the rewrites working properly
(the advantage being that once it's right for one project it can probably
be applied to all of them).

I think the many-repo issue can be solved with scripts or tooling, it does
not bother me too much. But the current maven-plugins (and to some extent
maven-shared) are a problem.

Essentially nothing will happen with maven-plugins until someone steps up
to do it.

Kristian

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.

+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le jeudi 13 février 2014 14:29:12 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> On Feb 13, 2014, at 12:28 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> >> Why wouldn't you put something with its own release cycle in its own
> >> repository?
> >
> > because plugins = 44 entries, shared = 20 entries, skins = 6 entries,
> > resources = 5 entries
> > sum = 75 entries
> >
> > each entry would mean 1 git repo + 1Jenkins job (or even more, since
> > plugins have multiple Jenkins jobs: 1 for Maven 2.2.x, 1 for Maven 3.0.x,
> > 1 for Maven 3.1.x)
> > IMHO, we're not ready for such granularity, neither at git nor Jenkins
> > level
> I'm used to more granularity in Git, if something has a separate lifecycle
> it doesn't bother me to have a different repo for it. In the case where
> there are a bunch of things that have different artifactIds but really only
> get released together then group those together. I can't speak to what
> Jenkins can handle.
yes, I know that this is the good solution if we switch to git
I'm just anticipating consequences, since we have 100 release roots, and
actual svn structure reduce these as much less svn trunks. I know that with
git, the right structure is 100 release roots = 100 git repos.
If git repos could be organized in directory structures, like dist area for
exemple, Ithis would be better, particularly if the 100 Maven repos were in a
maven subdirectory, instead of flat inside Apache git root.

And such differences go to ASF Jenkins, and to ASF Sonar.

I don't know who will take t his charge the lot of work that such a change
will require: having done the work (with a few others) for svnpubsub, and
anticipating git migration wil require even more work, I just want to be sure
that sufficient energy will be given to the effective switch because sufficient
people are convinced there is a real win for the Maven comunity (not only
technical facts from git zealots, who are probably right on much points, but
just ignore consequences on the whole project)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 13 February 2014 17:28, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 13 février 2014 08:27:14 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> > On Feb 13, 2014, at 1:36 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > the only show stopper I know is for svn trunk which contains a lot of
> > > components
> > >
> > > so -1 for plugins, shared, skins, resources
> >
> > Why wouldn't you put something with its own release cycle in its own
> > repository?
> because plugins = 44 entries, shared = 20 entries, skins = 6 entries,
> resources = 5 entries
> sum = 75 entries
>
> each entry would mean 1 git repo + 1Jenkins job (or even more, since
> plugins
> have multiple Jenkins jobs: 1 for Maven 2.2.x, 1 for Maven 3.0.x, 1 for
> Maven
> 3.1.x)
> IMHO, we're not ready for such granularity, neither at git nor Jenkins
> level

We should look at getting the literate plugin installed on ASF jenkins once
I get it finished... would greatly simplify the job requirements

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
Great posts, Jason! There are so many reasons to dump SVN, but controlled
branch sharing and personal work flow are big ones for me, too. I have a
dozen or more local branches of my project, too, and like you, I rebase
against what I publish until they're ready, then publish them, and rebase
the others, etc. It gives you immense power to work freely and experiment
and ultimately contribute higher quality material once you finally publish.
But I'm clearly preaching to the choir ;-)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.
git clone --recursive
https://github.com/Batmat/asciidoctor-maven-plugin-issue-494-html5-backend-not-working?

> found the doc: seems interesting
>
> any live example to show?
> or a demo on skins, for example, ie not much submodules, so it seems a good
> cancidate for tests
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le vendredi 14 février 2014 08:46:32 Baptiste Mathus a écrit :
> > +1 on the submodule solution. We started using it some months ago since
> the
> > branch option came out.
> > As a simplistic analogy, you can see it as svn: externals equivalent.
> >
> > It helps developers (and ci configuration) to retrieve many related
> > projects in only one clone command.
> >
> > My 2 cents
> >
> > Le 14 févr. 2014 05:10, "Mark Derricutt" <ma...@talios.com> a écrit :
> > > Jenkins could build from a super-repo that uses git submodule.
> > >
> > > Since a quite a few versions ago, git-submodules can now follow a
> branch
> > > rather than a fixed SHA1.
> > >
> > > So you could build/test monolithically, branch/commit individually.
> > >
> > > Compromise maybe?
> > >
> > > On 14 Feb 2014, at 6:28, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> > >  each entry would mean 1 git repo + 1Jenkins job (or even more, since

> for

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
AIUI, SVN is still required by Infra because of svnpubsub:

- for the dist repo (that is not a big deal)
- for websites (might cause some grief)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> While I'm finally starting to see the potential with a DVCS like git,
>> there are a couple of things that stands in the way of migrating, for
>> example plugins, to git:
>>
>> 1. Judging by our resident git gurus, it will require quite some
>> effort to prepare for and execute the actual migration. Do we have
>> someone with enough knowledge and time to do it?
>>

> I'm willing and I think Kristian would help as well.
>
>> 2. Our own tooling, in particular maven-release-plugin, still isn't
>> good enough for git use. IMO we need to get that fixed and verified on
>> our own releases before we migrate any more components to git.
>>

> I only release core and that works fine which begs the question: do we want to normalize our repository structure to simplify the tooling requirements. What exactly doesn't work? Trying to release a single thing out of a repository containing many things?

See the issues that Robert pointed out. I haven't run into the issues
myself, but I've seen lots of reports and discussions about them.

Let's use our projects that have already moved to git, and make them
work well together with maven-release-plugin and git. When that is
done and working fine, people willing to do the migration of the other
projects can dive in.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Convert everything to Git

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Personally I don't have the need, but if we want to move projects to Git,
this is probably one of the easy ones.

Robert

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
no problem for me on this one

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
+            <extension>

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
On 21 Feb 2014, at 10:27, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I only release core and that works fine which begs the question: do we
> want to normalize our repository structure to simplify the tooling
> requirements. What exactly doesn't work? Trying to release a single
> thing out of a repository containing many things?

A stock m-r-p config will break using the latest releases of git ( due
to depending on an old version of the -scm- artefacts ) which I've

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.
The entire SCM interface is very SVN-centric IMO. I raised a number of git
related m-rel-p issues some time ago, but have been busy moving countries
and more in the mean time. I doubt there has been progress on them, though.
One pretty much required a core change to Maven (perhaps something for
4.0.0?) which IIRC people were adamantly against.

One example off the top of my head is allowing meaningful tags to be
created. Another was the git provider not respecting git configuration, I
worked around that by using native git IIRC. There were other things,
nothing HUGE, and mostly work-around-able but still not ideal for general
use IMO.

Fred.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Yep. I release projects every day with git and m-r-p. The only issues I
know of are if you are wanting to release a portion of the repository or a
reactor that does not start at the root of the repository... but I don't do
that and I think it is a stupid thing to do anyway, so not a problem for me
(though I can agree that users may have a valid desire to do the things I
think are stupid... for example lots of users of Jenkins seem to want to
use the evil job type[1])

  [1]:
http://javaadventure.blogspot.ie/2013/11/jenkins-maven-job-type-considered-evil.html

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> While I'm finally starting to see the potential with a DVCS like git,
>> there are a couple of things that stands in the way of migrating, for
>> example plugins, to git:
>>
>> 1. Judging by our resident git gurus, it will require quite some
>> effort to prepare for and execute the actual migration. Do we have
>> someone with enough knowledge and time to do it?
>>

> I'm willing and I think Kristian would help as well.
>
>> 2. Our own tooling, in particular maven-release-plugin, still isn't
>> good enough for git use. IMO we need to get that fixed and verified on
>> our own releases before we migrate any more components to git.
>>

> I only release core and that works fine which begs the question: do we want to normalize our repository structure to simplify the tooling requirements. What exactly doesn't work? Trying to release a single thing out of a repository containing many things?

The M-R-P has a giant bug such that the current version of it and the
current version of git do not work together. I think the bug is
particularly severe for multiple releasable projects in one repo, but
the details are not sticking in my head.

Personally I have grown fond of the jgitflow-maven-plugin, but it has
a bug inventory.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
Maven Core is in git and has been for quite some time now... or you mean
some other Mave Core?

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git

Igor

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

<de...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jason
>
> While I'm finally starting to see the potential with a DVCS like git,
> there are a couple of things that stands in the way of migrating, for
> example plugins, to git:
>
> 1. Judging by our resident git gurus, it will require quite some
> effort to prepare for and execute the actual migration. Do we have
> someone with enough knowledge and time to do it?
>
> 2. Our own tooling, in particular maven-release-plugin, still isn't
> good enough for git use. IMO we need to get that fixed and verified on
> our own releases before we migrate any more components to git.
>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:37 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
> > Can we start the process of converting everything to Git. I don't really
> see any benefit in using Subversion any longer.
> >
> > If so then we should just get together for a day and convert them and
> then get infra to use what we converted to do the flip.
> >
> > Jason (who would be happy to never execute svn again)

> Dennis Lundberg

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Convert everything to Git