Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Eric Meyer <er...@langdieselinc.com> on 2013/01/23 20:29:12 UTC

OpenOffice Base - Multiplying Columns

I would like to multiply a column based on one of two values, depending
upon whether or not a boolean value is true or false.  Specifically, if I
select Used as true, I would like my margin to be multiplied by .35.
Otherwise, if it is false, then I would like my margin to be multiplied by
.3.  I would like both of these answers to be entered into my Commission
column.

I wrote a macro, though it is not entering the data:

REM  *****  BASIC  *****

Sub Main
If Used = False Then Commission = Margin*.35 Else Commission=Margin*.3
End Sub

Thoughts/suggestions/guidance?

--
Eric Meyer
NW Kansas Ag-Chem Representative

Re: OpenOffice Base - Multiplying Columns

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hello Eric --

You might find additional help on your problem on the OpenOffice Forums,
particularly in the Tutorials section for Base.

This said, I am not really familiar with the macro writing capabilities
of OpenOffice and how/if this applies to Base, but I do know how this
would be done when working with a SQL database.

Typically, this would involve updating the database table with a SQL
statement something like:

update "table name" set COMMISSION = MARGIN*0.35 where USED = False;
update "table name" set COMMISSION = MARGIN*0.30 where USED = True

assuming you have defined USED as boolean.

If you want something to happen to COMMISSION "automatically " when USED
is entered for each row for example, you will likely need to learn about
database triggers, SQL programming behind events that happen in your
database/table.

The Forum has some information on this...
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25965

Again, I would urge you to join up at the Forums. I'm sure you can find
a lot of help and answers there.

On 01/23/2013 11:29 AM, Eric Meyer wrote:
> I would like to multiply a column based on one of two values, depending
> upon whether or not a boolean value is true or false.  Specifically, if
> I select Used as true, I would like my margin to be multiplied by .35.
> Otherwise, if it is false, then I would like my margin to be multiplied
> by .3.  I would like both of these answers to be entered into my
> Commission column.
>
> I wrote a macro, though it is not entering the data:
>
> REM  *****  BASIC  *****
>
> Sub Main
> If Used = False Then Commission = Margin*.35 Else Commission=Margin*.3
> End Sub
>
> Thoughts/suggestions/guidance?
>

> --
> Eric Meyer
> NW Kansas Ag-Chem Representative
> LDI
> 1366 Toulon Avenue
> Hays, KS 67601
> 785-735-4355
> Fax: 785-301-2421

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop

Re: OpenOffice Base - Multiplying Columns

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello Eric,

two comments:

1.) In general there is no reason to store calculated values in a databse.

2.) the basic programm doesn't contain informatioens about the data
cells which you want to compare or fill.

Kind regards

Mechtilde