Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com> on 2004/07/19 17:01:08 UTC

Re: does poi support images in an excel file? and where is poi's log?

POI 2.5 had problems re-writing files with images in them. Use 2.0
(which should be fine unless you are using the drawing stuff) or latest
cvs.

POI doesnt log anything by default. Check the website/docs on how to
turn on logging (i've forgotten :( ) The logging is via
commons-logging/log4j, so you should be able to specify the location of
the file using a property file.

Regards
-
Avik

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 20:31, Hunter Ren wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am using an existing excel file as a template. when a user asks to
> download a file, i open the template by code, add data into it, and then
> send it to the end user. now, i add an company logo into it, and of
> course, i don't need to read or change it. but when i try it, i could
> get an excel file, but when opening it, there's nothing in it, not even
> a spread sheet.
>
> does poi support images in an excel file?
>
> another question is, where is poi's log file?
>
> thank you in advance.
>
> hunter

Re: does poi support images in an excel file? and where is poi's log?

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Logging should not be used in production and it probably isn't useful for
people not authoring POI.  Now that Nicola is gone we should rip all that
commons crap out.  It never worked well.  Logging is just for us to debug
POI, users aren't usually able to read the log anyhow.  And it slows POI
down to 1/100th of the speed.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.