Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Josep Prat <jo...@aiven.io.INVALID> on 2023/12/22 12:31:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-1012: The need for a Kafka 3.8.x release

Hi all!
As agreed on the "Road to Kafka 4.0" email thread, I created KIP-1012 to
discuss and I'd like to open it up for discussion:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-1012%3A+The+need+for+a+Kafka+3.8.x+release

Let's use this KIP to:
a) Leave a papertrail agreement for the need of a 3.8 version
b) Define which KIPs are the must-haves in regards to KRaft that should be
included there.

Please let me know your feedback and suggestions.

Best,

--
[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Josep Prat*
Open Source Engineering Director, *Aiven*
josep.prat@aiven.io   |   +491715557497
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-1012: The need for a Kafka 3.8.x release

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 5, 2024, at 14:50, Greg Harris wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
>> If we cannot get KIP-853 done in time for 3.8, then we'd move to have another 3.x release.
>
> This is the crux of my concern, and this is satisfactory. This means
> that the "must-haves" are advisory only, and don't constitute a
> binding feature list or a feature-based release. Thank you!

Hi Greg,

I agree that you could say that the release is still time-based rather than feature-based since we will release on time even if we haven't finished everything. (And I think this is a good thing)

However, I wouldn't phrase the KIP as "advisory only" ... I would say it just spells out the conditions for the last 3.x release. Once those conditions are met, we will move on to 4.0.

>>The intention behind saying the timeline was "rough" was to make the obvious comment that if we shipped 3.7 in February rather than in January, it would still be in the spirit of following the KIP.
>> I kind of regret putting that comment in there now, since apparently there was a lot of misinterpretation! It didn't mean that the KIP itself was just a suggestion and not binding, or that we hadn't come to a consensus about 3.7 being the last release.
>
> I certainly did not get that sense from reading KIP-833 or the
> discussion thread after-the-fact. I was reading it using the
> contemporary interpretation you posted here: [1]. If I were voting on
> that KIP, I would not think that I was voting for 3.7 to be the last
> 3.x release.
>
>> To make this totally clear:
>> NO vote for this KIP ===> 3.7 is the last 3.x release, as per KIP-833.
>> YES vote for this KIP ===> 3.8 is the last 3.x release.
>
> This was not the precedent set by previous major version bump
> discussions. We need a mutual consensus to advance the major version,
> and lack of consensus means by default the next release will be a
> minor release.
> If KIP-833 actually changed this precedent, then I'll vote for this
> KIP just to restore the norm, as long as it is clear to everyone that
> after 3.8 the version will bump to 3.9 (and etc) unless another
> discussion reaches consensus about the project being ready for 4.0.

Just to be totally clear. KIP-1012 states that once we have a 3.x release with KIP-853 and a mechanism for configuring perpetual unclean leader election, we can move on to 4.0. There will not need to be additional discussions or KIPs to do that. If there is more stuff you feel is needed in 3.x to make migration possible, now is the time to speak up.

best,
Colin

Posted by Josep Prat <jo...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,

Copying here the same message as in the VOTE thread just in case someone is
not following it (yet).
"*Thanks for your comments,*
*I reworded some parts of the KIP to express that:*
*- The KIP is to agree that we need at least one more minor version in the
3.x series*

*- Explicitly saying that the list of KIPs is not exhaustive and that if
some are not done, we would need another minor version*
*- Which are the KIPs/Features the community identified that should be
present in a 3.x version so they can safely migrate to a potential 4.0
version*
*- The timeline of 4.0 (starting after branching, not after release)*
*- Wording is now focusing more on the need to have at least another minor
release in 3.x to enable and ease migration to a potential 4.0 version*

*I always mention potential in terms of 4.0 as we don't know what will be
in there yet, and this KIP's scope is not meant to define this.*"

Best,

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Justine,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 5, 2024, at 11:28, Greg Harris wrote:
> Hi Josep,
>
> Thanks for the KIP! I think that the motivations for having another
> feature release before 4.0 are valid, as it seems that 3.7 is not
> suitable as the last 3.x release.
> I had a concern about the "Scope" section, in particular the language
> about "must haves", and the prevention of further 3.x releases.
>
> As I understand it, the Kafka project uses Time based releases [1], in
> which the release cadence has a fixed time between releases, and the
> set of features in a release is flexible. This is in contrast to
> feature-based releases where the release cadence is flexible, but the
> set of features in a release is fixed.
> If we are describing particular KIPs as "must-haves" for 3.8, does
> that mean that 3.8 is not a time-based release, but a feature-based
> release? For example, if KIP-853 was not ready by a deadline in the
> release plan, what would happen to the 3.8 release? Would it be
> delayed until KIP-853 was ready, or would KIP-853 be postponed until a
> 3.9 release?
> Is KIP-853 sufficiently low-risk that slipping from 3.8 is impossible?
> I am not familiar enough with that KIP to answer that question.

Hi Greg,

If we cannot get KIP-853 done in time for 3.8, then we'd move to have another 3.x release.

If you like, we can write that into the KIP. (I don't see why not).

> Looking back at the discussion on KIP-833 [2], it looks like the "last
> 3.x version" was interpreted to be an estimation, and the KIP itself
> includes "Note: this timeline is very rough and subject to change."
> I'll take that to mean that accepting KIP-833 did not count as
> explicitly voting that 3.7 would be the last release.

The intention behind saying the timeline was "rough" was to make the obvious comment that if we shipped 3.7 in February rather than in January, it would still be in the spirit of following the KIP.

I kind of regret putting that comment in there now, since apparently there was a lot of misinterpretation! It didn't mean that the KIP itself was just a suggestion and not binding, or that we hadn't come to a consensus about 3.7 being the last release.

> It looks like in the past, we have had loose discussion threads about
> bumping to the next major version (ex 1.0 [3] 2.0 [4] and 3.0 [5]) but
> I don't see anything labeled VOTE with formal consensus. It looks like
> each of the discussions reached informal consensus after the final
> minor release reached feature freeze.
>

> If we were to approve this KIP, we would be formally voting that 4.0
> is the next release after 3.8. If we were to follow a similar process
> today, we would (1) vote down a bump to 4.0 after 3.7, (2) proceed
> with a 3.8 release, and (3) after 3.8 feature freeze vote whether to
> have 4.0.

To make this totally clear:

NO vote for this KIP ===> 3.7 is the last 3.x release, as per KIP-833.
YES vote for this KIP ===> 3.8 is the last 3.x release.

> There are two separate things to reach consensus about here: Whether
> the 3.8 release will exist, and when the 4.0 release will appear. We
> can vote for a 3.8 release with or without also agreeing on the timing
> for 4.0, and I think that committing to 4.0 now is in violation of our
> time-based release policy.
> I am whole-heartedly +1 for a 3.8, but I'm hesitant about voting on
> 4.0 before the feature set of 3.8 is finalized. I think there is a
> risk that features that are on-time and eligible for a 3.8 release
> could be delayed by some KIPs which are given special treatment.

Nobody is proposing changing away from time-based releases. The vote is about what we need to have in the last 3.x release. The dates are there to give people a sense of when that release will be.

Also, if you have other stuff you want to get into 3.8, please submit PRs / KIPs and we'll follow the normal process as usual. Actually, this is something we should state explicitly in the KIP : there may be other features besides the "required" ones. I did ask Josep to make that change to the KIP. I will mention it again in the VOTE thread.

best,
Colin

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi Josep,