Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Lauro Costa G. Borges" <la...@grad.ufsc.br> on 2010/06/29 17:52:44 UTC

Newbie question - create projects from an existing project.

  Hi,

  I have a repository with 1 project, and some of the directories
contain code that I would like to maintain separately, so when someone
makes changes, or wants to make a  branch, or tag, I don't have to
take all directories (include those I didn't modify), so, how can I do
that?

  repo/
      tags/
      branches/
      trunk/
           dirA
           dirB
           (...)
           dirN

  What I want is to take dirB out, so when I create a branch (because
of the mades made on dirB, which is another project (and suppose dirA,
dirD, dirF are directories of the same project), only dirB will be on
the new branch, since I didn't modify the other projects. This will
happen for some other directories (for instance dirE, dirG, ...).

   I need to do this because the initial directories tree was not well
planned (as you can easily see), and projects kept being uploaded
without a proper separation.

  I want to copy the entire repository to a second machine, and on
that machine, properly separate the directories which do not belong to
the original project, this way I have the old machine, and the new
one, where I can manage permissions easily, since the layout will be
correct.

  thanks!

Re: Newbie question - create projects from an existing project.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com> wrote:
>>   I have a repository with 1 project, and some of the directories
>> contain code that I would like to maintain separately, so when
>> someone
>> makes changes, or wants to make a  branch, or tag, I don't have to
>> take all directories (include those I didn't modify), so, how can I
>> do
>> that?
>>

>>   repo/
>>       tags/
>>       branches/
>>       trunk/
>>            dirA
>>            dirB
>>            (...)
>>            dirN

Make a tag with what you want moved to it. Lock down that tag. Do an
export of that tag into a working copy of the trunk of a clean, new
repository, and start with a clean new history. Alternatively, simply
copy over the components you want to the new working copy and "add"
them there.

The vagaries of negotiating the 'svndumpfilter' for a dump and load
operation, to re-arrange the components correctly, and keep out
undesired bits but keep only the bits you want, generally do not
justify the effort needed. You can drop in a "README" file saying
where the new repository came from, but the eternal logging features
of Subversion are often burdensome for transferring select material
into a new working repository or internal location.

RE: Newbie question - create projects from an existing project.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
>   I have a repository with 1 project, and some of the directories
> contain code that I would like to maintain separately, so when
> someone
> makes changes, or wants to make a  branch, or tag, I don't have to
> take all directories (include those I didn't modify), so, how can I
> do
> that?
>

>   repo/
>       tags/
>       branches/
>       trunk/
>            dirA
>            dirB
>            (...)
>            dirN
>
>   What I want is to take dirB out, so when I create a branch
> (because
> of the mades made on dirB, which is another project (and suppose
> dirA,
> dirD, dirF are directories of the same project), only dirB will be
> on
> the new branch, since I didn't modify the other projects. This will
> happen for some other directories (for instance dirE, dirG, ...).
>
>    I need to do this because the initial directories tree was not
> well
> planned (as you can easily see), and projects kept being uploaded
> without a proper separation.
>
>   I want to copy the entire repository to a second machine, and on
> that machine, properly separate the directories which do not belong
> the original project, this way I have the old machine, and the new
> one, where I can manage permissions easily, since the layout will
> be
> correct.

Just do a dump and load. Are you keeping the old one live, or just as a back up? If you are keeping the old on live you will need to force a new UUID when you do the load, or change it after the load, either way.

I'm not quite sure why you just don't move your folders around in the current repository rather than copy them to a new one before changing your layout?

BOb