Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/12 15:23:45 UTC

Re: Newbie dev questions

Hello,

Thisn is really a question for lucene-user, so I'm redirecting it
there.

> First of all, THANK YOU LUCENE DEVELOPERS! You've made my life
> infinitely easier since I discovered this project and dumped my
> half-baked in-house solution.
>
> Now, for the newbie questions:
>
> 1. Is there an easy way (short of writing my own query parser) to get
>
> the out-of-box query parser to AND terms together by default instead
> of OR?

Yes, but the QueryParser that supports that has not officially been
released, so you'll have to get it from CVS.

> 2. One of the things I'll be doing is a searchable database of small
> text blocks. Rather than store the text blocks as thousands of little
>
> text files on disk that are indexed by lucene, I'd like to store them
> in
> the search database in an indexed field on the document objects. Are
> there any performance/programming "gotchas" with this approach I
> should be aware of?

There are field size limits, but you can change those by modifying the
code.  If I were you I would stick with lots of little documents, if
that makes more sense logically speaking.

Otis