Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Steve Peterson <st...@zpfe.com> on 2004/04/03 16:50:41 UTC

[configuration] configuration breaks tomcat autodeploy

I've just integrated the 0331 build of collections into my webapp and am
running into a minor glitch.  I deploy in Tomdat 5.0.18 with
autodeploy.  Prior to integrating collections I could do autodeploys by
dropping a new war file into Tomcat's appBase.

After integrating collections, and only if I invoke the collections api,
autodeploy no longer works.  Inspecting the deployment directory for my
application, the only file left is the collections jar in WEB-INF/lib, and
java.exe that is running Tomcat looks like it still has the file open.  My
hypothesis is that some file in the jar is being referenced and not being
closed.

I tried expanding the jar into the WEB-INF/classes folder to force the VM
to read the file individually, but unfortunately the problem doesn't occur
in that deployment configuration.

I'm out of ideas on how to run this down.  I know I'll get complaints on
Monday from the other developers on the project about autodeploy breaking,
so any help would be appreciated.

RE: [configuration] configuration breaks tomcat autodeploy

Posted by Steve Peterson <st...@zpfe.com>.
My configuration file looks like this:

<configuration>
   <jndi className="org.apache.commons.configuration.JNDIConfiguration"
prefix="java:comp/env"/>
   <dom4j className="org.apache.commons.configuration.DOM4JConfiguration"
fileName="my-configuration.xml"/>
</configuration>

I invoke the factory like:

ConfigurationFactory factory = new ConfigurationFactory();
factory.setConfigurationFileName(configFile);
Configuration config = factory.getConfiguration();

configFile here contains a fully qualified path to a file in WEB-INF.

My property reads look like:

String backColor = config.getString("my.property.name");

Posted by Steve Peterson <st...@zpfe.com>.
Daniel -- thanks for the idea on the jar sharing.  Unfortunately, the
WEB-INF/lib directory of this app is the only place that the
commons-configuration-1.0-dev-3.jar appears, so I'm inclined to think that
this isn't the problem.

Posted by Steve Peterson <st...@zpfe.com>.

Posted by Daniel Huang <da...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.