Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/02 22:31:12 UTC

Re: Slow backup with large number of folders in Datastore

The key thing to avoid is having ANY nodes with a very large number of
children (i "think" this is still an unresolved "challenge" that is not
been "addressed" in Oak). The developers debate about whether it's a
problem or not actually. Regardless, make sure you are both STORING and
PROCESSING in CHUNKS. Try not to hold a single session open for a long time
without saving it, or large reads/writes, before closing again. Means you
need to not only break up your nodes into smaller chunks, but make your
worker thread(s) bite off only limited "chunks" of work at a time to eat
away at the task bit by bit. Much less memory is used, etc, if you do this
approach. (similar to 'buffering')

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com