Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu> on 2015/10/15 23:06:58 UTC

formating XML

I found this e-mail about formatting XML [1] in our old google group
mailing list. Do we want to use these formatting guidelines for our
project? If so, should we add this to our directions for setting up
eclipse. :-)

Mahalo,
Preston

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/asterixdb-dev/GtaQ4W7fYGQ/uskBBFN3vYoJ

Re: formating XML

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM, abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe this is about the format style of the xml files (i.e lines vs.
> tabs, indentation size, max line size, etc).

Exactly what I am referring to do. With XML, be concerned about the
content, and ignore these things whenever possible.

Jochen

Re: formating XML

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Whether formatting rules are useful depends on the content.

For config files, conventions help humans a lot.

For text markups, formatting conventions can be disastrous because the text
is changed to include whitespace.

Yes. Focus on semantics, but consistent formatting and layout helps (human)
readers focus on the semantics.

Re: formating XML

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.

Re: formating XML

Posted by abdullah alamoudi <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: formating XML

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: formating XML

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
I’m in :)

We could also add this more detailed information to [1].

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/Code+formatting