Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Chilli Factor <ki...@chillifactor.co.nz> on 2023/06/13 00:23:28 UTC

PDFBox signature issues

Hi there,

We use PDFBox for e-signing documents, and it was working until recently.
It has stopped signing individual documents; or signs in the incorrect
place in the document not where the signature merge field was placed to be
signed.

   1. When the java processes the PDF file to find the location where to
   put the signature in the file, it is behaving strangely.
   2. E.g. if the signature is the last or the first word in the page of
   the doc, java isn't able to read this. And also for middle text it combines
   the text while processing.

It's a bit random as working for merged documents,  not single documents.

Has something changed recently? We've spent a lot of time trying to resolve
it. We've also tried updating to the latest PDFbox version but not working.
We haven't updated Java or related items on the server.

Thanks
Kirsten

Re: PDFBox signature issues

Posted by Pragati Singh <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tilman,

We are using pdfbox 2.0.23 version, we have made no changes, no upgrades
but it suddenly stopped working. Though it is a maven project so it use to
download decencies but in pom.xml we have specified specifically it’s
version 2.0.23, so it should only download that.

Complete Description of the issue:

   1. We use pdfbox to extract the text location only of the signature
   placeholder we placed in a PDF document.
   2. Suddenly from pas few days it is not returning the correct location
   of the placeholder text.
   3. What Kirsten has stated are the few use cases when I was trying to
   debug the issue.
   4. But the pattern is completely random, sometime it gives the Text
   Location correctly, sometime it doesn’t give the coordinates. When I was
   debugging I found that it doesn’t process the text correctly, sometime
   combining the two texts which has space in the PDF but it is not reading
   the space.
   5. The only strange part is  it suddenly started happening.
   6. It is not specific to any document,  it is randomly happening to
   multiple documents.
   7. Though I can provide my code with a sample document having issues.

Thanks

Pragati

Re: PDFBox signature issues

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
"Has something changed recently?" try running with older versions. If it
works - then we're at fault.

The real question is: does it happen all the time with a specific
document? Then share the document. I don't understand "if the signature
is the last or the first word in the page of the doc, java isn't able to
read this". Signatures are annotations.

What is a "signature merge field"? It is possible to set an empty
signature field, do you mean that?

Tilman